1. Becky Ackroyd
    January 10, 2014 @ 10:31 pm

I just found you through Miss Mustard Seed, and I think that your Downton Abbey portal is the best find ever!!! I’m currently under a husband-requested CraigsList furniture buying ban. 🙂 Reading your posts, I feel like you could be my BFF- only you’re actually way funnier than I am! So glad to have found your blog!!!

2. Elaine A Hall
    February 19, 2014 @ 12:08 pm

Okay!!! I had to check, but didn’t I see this piece for sale on ebay???? In York, Pa? (I have actually been there!!! 40 years ago! Trapped in Houston now :-c !!) I am sorry it didn’t work out for you because it really is a magnificent piece!!! Thanks for being such a zany person…we need more of this in the world!!! E.

3. Denise
    February 25, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

OK… I adore Paul. Just because he’s obviously crazy about you! And I wish you were my neighbor. You are so fun/funny/lovely!

4. Yvonne Angus
    April 24, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

I didn’t have time to read all of the comments, so someone may have already stated this. How wide is the top center piece? Because that is where I would cut it so I could get it in the kitchen. I figured you weren’t going to use the sink portion, (at least not in the kitchen!), so it would be okay if the middle was narrow…IF it is wide enough to lose 12 inches! While it looks amazing in your living room, it was SO made for your dream kitchen!

5. danielle
    May 18, 2014 @ 11:52 pm

Hey! I loved to read it! You have a fun way of describing the adventure!! I’m from Brazil, and I’m definitely following your blog from now on! sadly we don’t have this very same culture of recycling in here, much less a craigslist that works… anyway that was really fun to read! congrats on your find!

6. Lori Sanders
    June 28, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

I looooooved reading this article. It was soooo funny.. my husband had to pause his favorite race and ask what I was laughing about so loudly? I read parts to him and he ‘got it’. I would totally be you in this situation. Love to find great deals and steals. When we lived in town, it was at the malls. Now we live in the mountains. . . so I resort to Craigslist, yard sales etc. I loved your brother’s Narnia response too. Thanks for the humor.

7. Post the Sixty-Sixth: In Which I Ramble Incoherently, and You Learn Illuminating Facts About Why I’ve Been Distracted | Whimsical Adventures of the Reverend Doctor
    July 9, 2014 @ 10:00 pm

[…] That’s actually what I’ve been doing today*, but I’ve been awfully distracted by this. This woman is hilarious and I love her, and possibly want to be her, but only in the […]

8. Post the Sixty-Sixth: In Which I Ramble Incoherently, And You Learn Illuminating Facts About Why I’ve Been Disctracted | Whimsical Adventures of the Reverend Doctor
    September 26, 2014 @ 8:00 pm

[…] That’s actually what I’ve been doing today*, but I’ve been awfully distracted by this. This woman is hilarious and I love her, and possibly want to be her, but only in the […]

9. I started writing this post a year ago and I still don’t have a good ending. | The Bloggess
    November 9, 2014 @ 11:52 am

[…] know her from the time she found a massive mirror but my favorite was the time she made her husband rip down walls to save treasure.  Go read […]

10. VEB Might Be Our Spirit Animal | the Attic Birds
    November 22, 2014 @ 10:36 am

[…] fact, her post about finding absolute treasure on Craigslist not only made me snort-laugh in a public place, but […]

11. Diana Gibbs
    January 6, 2015 @ 8:44 pm

That is beautiful.
    You are hilarious.
    Craigslist was made for you.
    Paul is a saint!
    Keep it up!
    Hugs, Di

12. Lauren
    March 10, 2015 @ 1:41 pm

Victoria-
    I just had to re-read this post because I remembered a) it made me laugh. Out loud. and b) you are I are just such kindred spirits and every time I read your writing, I have to remind myself that you’re not writing about me and MY husband, because we operate in EXACTLY the same way. I am the finder of SHINY, FANCY, and he is the man with the bucket of screwdrivers shaking his head from side to side and reminding me (WITH HIS EYES ONLY) that this is yet, another bad idea. Just replace Victorian with Mid Century Modern and it’s basically an identical existence. Also? I need you to know that “Kingdom Mirror” has made it into our vocabulary as the catch-all phrase that sums up my fool’s errands for shiny things. It goes this like this:
    Me: OMIGOD! I found this thing on Craigslist! The guy is asking, like, way too little for it. It’s all the way down in ____ (insert far away place I have never heard of here). We have to get there before anyone else does! Can we get it? Can we get it?
    Husband: Where are we gonna put it?
    Me: WHAT DOES IT MATTER? It only costs _____ (absurdly low number in relationship to value of shiny thing)! I’ll put it in the garage! For now! Until we can sell _____ (shiny thing I just bought last week). And then… y’know… we’ll move it upstairs!
    Husband: (narrowing eyes) Is this a Kingdom Mirror?
    Me: (sheepish, enthusiasm waning only a teency weency bit): Yes.

13. Linda D.
    March 10, 2015 @ 3:54 pm

Lauren, you made me snort my tea. It was like you were a fly on the wall at my house. That is WORD FOR WORD what is said when I have a Craigslistgasm. Right down to my husband asking, “Is this a Kingdom Mirror?”
    Victoria, I think it has officially entered the lexicon.
    Really.

14. Magical Narnia wardrobe? Nope. Just regular type. | THE NEBLOG
    March 16, 2015 @ 8:26 pm

[…] associate the blog post title with Victoria Elizabeth Barnes, do yourself a favor and read this post. I consider her my blog […]

15. Charlotte
    April 22, 2015 @ 1:41 am

First of all…I don’t think you were nuts in wanting it or getting it! And I LOVE where you put it!! It’s perfect!! Makes it amazingly original and also purposeful. You done good, and I love your philosophy on why you had to get it, how you didn’t really feel awfully bad when your wonderful husband had to UN-install it from its original moorings, and your drive to get it NOW…put your shoes on and go go go!!! I’ve been like that myself!!
    One time we had a three-piece lattice room divider, and after studying it for a week or so, I decided that 1/3 of it could go on its side, across a counter we had in an old mobile home to make a nice division between the dining room and the washer/dryer area. My husband had a fit! But, in the end, at my incessant insistance! he put it up and besides myself loving it, everyone else did too! Then when we moved to a much nicer place, we didn’t have a headboard. When I told my husband to put up that lattice piece that had been across the counter, and use it as a headboard, he had another fit!! (I remember it being a major fit!) But, in the end..up it went and it looked GREAT!! It’s so rewarding to be insightful and IMAGINATIVE! Victoria, you are becoming my kindred spirit!
    Looking forward to all the posts I’ve missed (today is April 21, 2015).
    Keep up the good work and your delightful way of describing it all!

16. Jenny
    June 18, 2015 @ 2:34 pm

You are def my soul sista! Hubby gave me a 50 mile radius after we drove 2 hrs to get leather sofa in my jeep.. Then haul it upstairs and thru narrow halls and THEN it don’t fit.. Hubby says did you measure? Me – well kinda but I couldn’t find your tape measure so I guesstamitaed.. So…
    Long story short- we drove 2 hrs on freeway with couch tied to top of jeep- and everybody wizzing by AND taking photos!

Hey I did my part by finding a BARGAIN!
    That 50 mile radius.. Lol
    My husband aka as the enabler drove to Ga 2 days before Christmas to rescue another dog and then 2 yrs later drive to NY and back – because this dog LOOKED at me and then spent a small fortune to get her well..
    I’m already scoping the country for my NEXT big find..
    Luv ya girl!

17. Lisa
    August 31, 2015 @ 9:41 pm

This post made me laugh out loud with glee!!! I know the exact feeling and my husband knows the exact excitement that lies in my bones when I find “that one must have piece”!!! The last picture is my favorite and what an AMAZING place for it!! LOVE!!! Your one lucky lady to have a hubby that goes the extra mile without hesitation! And now you have the gates to Down Town Abby and Narnia to boot!! 😉

18. Karen
    December 10, 2015 @ 1:33 am

I too think you shoul cut your inches out of the middle bit and make it fit the kitchen. But I guess you have got used to it where it us now!

19. Carla Minosh
    January 18, 2016 @ 6:59 pm

We must be living parallel lives! My husband and I have found more treasure “off the beaten path” than you would believe, though most of our finds have been from eBay rather than Craigslist. Although, that is simply because Craigslist didn’t exist at the time when we collected most of our pieces. Come to think of it, we’ve been collecting long enough that the Internet hadn’t even been invented when we started assembling our random bits of flotsam and jetsam that adorn our home. I’ve been doing a blog about our restoration of an 1874 Victorian mansion in Southern Virginia at http://danvilleexperience.blogspot.com/. I loved the portals, the hard work, and the sense of fun that you bring to your experiences. Imagination, hard work, and humor will have you navigating life as a great adventure, no matter what the circumstances.

20. Victoria Miller
    January 24, 2016 @ 7:45 pm

Hello! I found your website after my husband hoisted our new, huge and expensive mattress sets onto our newly acquired, antique four poster beds in the guest room. And we realized that the mattress sets covered up 3/4 of the headboards. And they began at 19 inches off the floor and ended at a height I was unable to reach without a stepstool. Then my husband laid down on one of them (he is a big guy….he was wondering how his even bigger BIL would like the bed when he came to visit) and all the L brackets on one side bent straight and, well, you can imagine. So I went to the Internet to find out WHAT was WRONG with us and why this kind of thing keeps happening, what we should have done, etc., etc. And then I found you! And I think that you and I were separated at birth! Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone and thanks so very much for staying focused on the humor and absurdity of it all!