1. Nancy
    July 6, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

What about angling the two “wardrobes” to make two corner cupboards with the sink between them? That would take up less space. Love your stories. And your husband is amazing, despite the glares and gritted teeth 😉

• Kit Odom
      July 6, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Yes! The Husband is what amazes me most! (Besides the incredible luck and the great taste of course.)

2. Amber
    July 10, 2013 @ 11:43 am

This is one of the best things I’ve read on the internet, and I’ve read a lot of great things on the internet. Please tell me you’ll be writing a book when your renovations are complete. If so, you’ve already sold one copy.

3. 5 Bloggers I’d Like to Meet | Nouns and Violets
    July 13, 2013 @ 1:39 pm

[…] is supposed to be done. I’ll bet Victoria could help me decorate too. I mean, she found The Portal to Downton Abbey that also has an entrance to Narnia. What could she find for […]

4. Judy
    July 13, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

GREAT post. The best part is when you compare your husband to James Bond. I love that you appreciate him so much, and I can tell he totally loves you. So awesome. Glad you were able to make it work in your house. 🙂

5. Joanna Parisi
    July 13, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

This is vaguely reminiscent of the time we were invited to a church that was being dismantled by an ex-priest who told us to lie (unbelievably) and say we were from a poor church in rural Maine! In fact he had already told the story of the poor church folks coming to pick up the vestment cabinet and anything else they wanted to give us. We ended up leaving with not just the vestment cabinet but also the altar railing, vestments and altar cloths and as we were on our way out the door they tried to give us the shiny, gold, chalice! We were was lapsed Catholics with a big old inn in Maine. While I didn’t believe in hell any longer I was sure that if we took the chalice we be going there. The vestment cabinet had to be modified to fit in our inn and became a gorgeous centerpiece. The altar railing we sold to someone who was building a new bar in town so I may still be going south. Loved your blog and you remind me of me about 20 years ago! It’s great entertainment.

6. Melissa
    July 20, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

I’m SO lame that I cannot find the link to all the people who came to your “favorite find link party” so that I can see all the found gems! Are they in one place? I even went to April 9th via the archives box. The few other blogs I have followed have thumbnail photos in a grid that you simply click on. right after your post. I am a DEVOTED new follower to your blog, though, and my husband is reading your Craigslist wardrobe post right now and I can hear him laughing out loud!! Can someone PLEASE let me know where all the cool finds are hiding? I do notice that as I make my way through all the comments that you keep reminding people to link, but I am now so deep into your blogsite that I cannot find the party. Keep writing! I’m going to look at Craigslist next….

7. Liz
    July 29, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Would you consider cutting the 12 inches out of the center section? I’m sure you could use the sink and sink base elsewhere in the room. This is a new blog for me. I am looking forward to reading your other posts.

• Kit Odom
      July 29, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Noooooooo! Do NOT cut that beautiful wardrobe! It is drifting through time; your mission is to preserve it so it can continue its incarnations.

8. Dot Beams
    August 16, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

Just found your website and saw your hilarious blog on the gorgeous wardrobe. You must be a daughter I never knew. You’re hilarious. I’ve done the same thing finding unique pieces/antiques on Craigslist. Had to be the first to see them. Hubby is soooo patient. Found a beautiful three-part mirror several months ago that I broke my neck getting to it first. Knew it would be perfect when we remodeled our guest bath. Lo and behold, wouldn’t you know it … it was not perfect after seeing the granite and accessories. Back to square one. Thankfully, no problem. Relisted mirror on craigslist.com and sold it first day. Will enjoy following your blog.

9. A Secret Revelation | Cape of Dreams
    August 19, 2013 @ 10:22 am

[…] I had scored, but the problem was that I had not yet obtained it physically. Then, Victoria wrote this post about her Craigslist find, and I wanted to cry. “It’s not fair! I want to share my […]

10. Louise
    August 19, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Because you have about-faced my own kitchen design, converted me to worshipping pilar, and have had me spending HOURS looking for the equivalent to put into my own kitchen, I DEMAND you get this into your kitchen.

• Kit Odom
      August 19, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

That beautiful piece should never, ever be cut. Doing so would be a small murder. Preserve it for its future lives.

11. Sophie
    August 29, 2013 @ 11:56 am

I absolutely LOVED reading this. Thank you so much for sharing these amazing stories. We might be embarking on our own renovation project of an 1898 house in a small town in VA so this is scaring me and inspiring me.

12. Basket Case | Cape Of Dreams
    September 24, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

[…] week, Victoria, my blogger friend, announced that she was having a link-up party for everyone to share an object that they love from their house. This is difficult for me. There […]

13. ginette4
    September 24, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

Thank you for sharing, I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe, I totally get you!

14. Denise
    October 4, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

Oh you and I are kindred spirits! I’ve gotten that ‘look’ from my husband about 1,000 time! I’ve brought home a 12′ Armoire in the back of a station wagon, torn out carpeting on our front stairs (cause the dumb builder put carpet over beautiful hardwoods) tacks, carpet everywhere, he walks in, I get the ‘look’ he walks back out the door 😉 Needed his Truck for some cool find from a Flea Market and I tell him, really, it’s not that heavy?! I just sold my 1980’s China Hutch to a lovely young couple that liked Cherry and glass (yuck) and bought a huge antique hutch off Craig’s List for only $400 bucks! I was lucky the sellers husband was a landscape contractor and hauled it over in his trailer, my husband just shook his head on that one…I once ordered a big, wrought iron gate for our front walkway (from Arizona) that I made him install. I also told him I loved him and rubbed Ben Gay on his back that evening! I totally get it!

15. Brandon
    October 5, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

I have to show this to my boyfriend because he will love this piece just as much as you, and laugh as hard at your story as I did. Love this!

16. Linda D.
    October 8, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

Ok, so it’s been six months since you posted. Six months of living with a gorgeous piece and figuring out if you want to (a) cut it down (b) swap out your kitchen and living room or (c) move…unless you’ve still got it in your living room. Any insight into which way you’re going with this?
    I know. It’s sorta like a stranger asking when you’re gonna start a family – personal and all. BUT so many of us have forged into territory like this. How did YOU handle it?
    Oh, by the way, my carpenter buddy says that you *can* re-size the top decorative carvings if you cut down the sides. The real challenge is remaking the doors to fit. But if it ends up being a kitchen piece, my guess is you’d make new cabinet doors anyway.
    Of course, I want to *lengthen* the center section and use the whole thing as a headboard with flanking closets…

17. Kit Odom
    October 8, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

Again. I must say this again: That fabulous piece has floated down through time in perfect condition and picked you because it knew you would save it. Your job is to be its protector and keep it basically intact so that it can continue its journey through “life.” Do NOT cut it!

18. Julie
    November 7, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

You are my HERO!!! I loved every word of this, I felt every emotion, and I’m so happy to have found your blog! It is the best one EVER!!

19. Steve Ansell
    November 23, 2013 @ 3:03 am

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

I imagine you now realise I love this 🙂 – it is precisely what I try to do with all things “old and unwanted” Well done for having the vision (and husband) to reveal the awesomeness of this stunning robe… in all my years as a renovation-tragic I’ve only seen a handful of people who do this.

Blown away

Thanks

Steve Ansell (Australia)

20. Tara
    December 12, 2013 @ 3:21 pm

I have to tell you…. my husband just texted me and asked…. “remember that crazy article you sent me 6 months ago about that lady that had that HUGE furniture? I have to send it to a friend who is letting his wife redecorate.” LOL!