1. Dana
    December 15, 2017 @ 3:38 pm

Only 4 people can play at a time, but our family loves Blockus. It’s a board type game. Really fun.

2. Dogsdontpurr
    December 15, 2017 @ 4:27 pm

You take amazing kitten photos!! I love the way you capture their tiny expressions, and your lighting is always so perfect. You could be a professional kitten photographer! Thanks for sharing all the cuteness with us!

3. Kate Sawyer
    December 15, 2017 @ 4:44 pm

Dicecapades is my favorite (after the aforementioned Cards Against Humanity). The dozens of different dice bring me joy, but so does the hilarity.

4. Susan Grubb
    December 15, 2017 @ 5:11 pm

We have a family game tradition after Thanksgiving dinner where kids (from age 6 or 7 and up) and adults gather to play the card game called The Great Dalmuti (you can order the cards online). It is a very silly game about class struggle, which sounds terrible, but it is actually really fun and silly.

It is easy to learn and play, and is especially fun because it involves the wearing of silly, exotic and glorious hats (we spend the time between Thanksgivings scouting for more even exotic and even more glorious hats). It also involves the opportunity to get photos of relatives in said hats. What could be better?!?

If I could figure out how to attach a photo, I’d provide documentation to show the wonderful hats and family members enjoying the game.

• Jennifer
      December 19, 2017 @ 3:01 am

I second this recommendation! One of our favorites.

5. Emily
    December 15, 2017 @ 5:12 pm

Oh, oh, oh…those babies. Lucky you! I have a growly, slightly insane cat, so I don’t dare bring kittens into his orbit.

The Guardian has an excellent article on poverty in the US, which sounds as though we’re going to beat out third world countries. Embarrassing and…makes me kind of frantic. How! In this country!

6. Michele
    December 15, 2017 @ 5:17 pm

No game suggestions, stuck in a time warp of Scrabble, but the kittens……that little tuxedo is just such a little kissy bundle. High spot of the day, thank you!!

7. RedheadedCyclone
    December 15, 2017 @ 5:37 pm

Mille Borne… it’s a card game about distances and strategy. It’s delightful and you can be more vindictive than Uno, but there is math… oh! and it’s all in French so you can practice sounding French when you drop a card on them…

8. Nancy Ann
    December 15, 2017 @ 6:22 pm

Gosh, your carpets are all in one piece! How can that be?? I have two fairly new adorable little rescues and I think in a few months my house is going to be totally shredded!

9. Barbara
    December 15, 2017 @ 7:49 pm

Telestrations is a great game that parents and kids can play.

10. Laura
    December 15, 2017 @ 8:16 pm

Have you played King of Tokyo? You get to be a monster and wreak havoc on your opponents, or die, if your heart points hit zero before you achieve victory. Very exciting.

11. Karen Harrison
    December 15, 2017 @ 8:35 pm

The Game of Things is great if your family is funny. If not, don’t. We like Crack the Case, Pit, and Charades

There are also a few game packages you can buy online. They’re around $10 and include 5 or so games. You load them on a computer and everyone answers through their phone. Made by the You Don’t Know Jack people. Fibbage is our fav. Family must be good liars in addition to funny.

12. Rachel
    December 15, 2017 @ 9:26 pm

Love your blog , your rantings, the adorable relationship with your hubs, and your esthetic!
    I have a ( gasp) vent over my fabulous oven AND also make my husband (bend to my will) learn to enjoy the “obviously” finer things in life. As far as the vent , I am SO glad I did it ! I burn things all of the time ! As far as the husband, he would be happy in a tent but, deep down I know he is so glad he has a chandelier in his bathroom 😉
    So , I’m prompted by the game query. At our house , we LOVE bananagrams! It’s like individual scrabble. It’s portable, easy , and so much fun.
    Happy Holidays !
    Rachel from Massachusetts

13. Flip Breskin
    December 15, 2017 @ 9:47 pm

Wonderful! Thank you for the book references. Fwuffeeness too.

Games:

SET card game
    Because 6 year olds can wipe the floor with adults on a level playing field once they get the hang of it. Lateral thinking is required. It’s good for kids to get personal, incontrovertible evidence that adults are NOT smarter than they are.

Yikerz!
    Magnets to be laid out competitively. At guitar camp, the table with this game was laughing louder and longer than anyone else’s.

14. Dona Pearce
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:26 pm

I love your blogs! You always make me laugh. The book recommendations are terrific, and the kittens are absolutely adorable.

15. Toni
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:35 pm

Kitties are SOOOOOO CUTE!!!! The new favorite game in our family is Catch Phrase…if you love word games that move fast and are great for playing in teams.

16. Wendy Burns
    December 16, 2017 @ 1:19 am

I’m in love with the little fur nuggets!!! Our favorite game lately is Pictionary the card game! We’ve played this with ages 6 to 69 and it’s so easy and fun to play with all! It’s like Pictionary but instead of actually drawing the clue each team has a set of cards with shapes that they have to use to get their teammates to guess the clue!

17. Linda Hill
    December 16, 2017 @ 1:48 am

Too great this kittens!!!
    I just got my stray cat trapped last night and a rescue group picked up this am to take to a vet and then into a foster home. I have been feeding her for 5 weeks but couldn’t let her in without a vet check as my indoor cat whom I rescued last year would have been at risk for disease. She has roamed this neighborhood for a couple years so this was a wonderful thing to finally get her captured!!! Our shelter euthanizes so couldn’t take her there so this was heaven sent rescue as she mistakenly finally trusted me and was able to be caught. Bless you for taking foster cats in –God will reward you ! I named this cat Eloise Victoria Elizabeth and that name is now registered with the Vet! Merry Christmas—- love your blog!!!

18. Meghan
    December 16, 2017 @ 2:08 am

We like all of those games too! I would also recommend Ticket to Ride Europe and Heads Up. The latter is an app that (I think) Ellen DeGeneres made. It’s free if you have Amazon Prime.

19. Truus Birza
    December 16, 2017 @ 5:13 am

Your comment about the book “Evicted” brought back some memories of my very poor days, and how sometimes the lack of money scared me so much it actually made me afraid to even breathe when I thought about it.
    Good on you for mentioning a subject that most people either don’t care about or don’t want to think about.
    Interestingly I got another email just after this about a national housing strategy that the Canadian Government has just enacted, basically making housing a Human Right.
    I’m so proud to be a Canadian.
    I love your posts, they bring a smile to my face. Kittens and mirrors included!

20. Beth M
    December 16, 2017 @ 8:50 am

We just got a game called Snake Oil. It is super fun, easy to learn, and is either family friendly or not. You really control it. But it doesnt have any offensive word cards. Another one is CATS. It is like Telestrations, but with Cats. It is awesome.

21. Bobbi Garcia
    December 16, 2017 @ 9:39 am

There’s a card game called Phase 10 that is a lot of fun, and you can play it with kids. I look forward to your posts — they are a special treat to my day!

22. Shelley Henley
    December 16, 2017 @ 10:10 am

I had a number of aaawwwhhhhh!!!! Moments with the kitten photos and desperately wanted sleeping snuggling kittens for myself , then I remembered that my two twelve year old cats Stella and Fat Frankie, and Troll the semi feral that lives under the front porch, would object.
    Like well just drat!
    Then I thought about your family and realised that Pass the Pigs would be the perfect game. Available on Amazon from $12.38. 912 reviews. 81% have 5 stars.
    For some bizarre reason this is a completely hilarious game. No strategy or intellect required. It helps if you can add, but hey just those cute little pig dice landing on various parts of their anatomy and balancing is a marvel. NB no actual pigs get thrown or tossed. No pigs are hurt. No pigs are intended to be thrown or tossed. Just little plastic pig shaped dice.

23. Rosie Hepner
    December 16, 2017 @ 1:49 pm

I can not handle the kitten cuteness! Utter Nonsense is our new favorite! http://www.utternonsensegame.com

24. Darling Lily
    December 16, 2017 @ 3:02 pm

Well, I just got the Toilet Trouble Game for our family get together, strictly to horrify my mother and delight my brothers in one fell swoop. I feel I shall succeed wildly on both fronts. I may use Mt Dew instead of water, because I am evil like that.

In case I didn’t mention it before… I WANT THOSE KITTENS!

25. Jacquie
    December 16, 2017 @ 7:24 pm

My Dad has just rescued a cat, best thing ever, keeping the elderly active. Doubt he’d be happy being called elderly but as I’m over the hill he must be. He hasn’t had a cat for about 10 years, had this one for a week and already creating scratching posts and indoor treehouses. Lucky cat!

26. Bernie
    December 17, 2017 @ 12:44 pm

We like all the ones you do, plus Battle of the Sexes and Pictionary is always a favorite. Quick Pictionary story. My husband was drawing the pedals on the floor of a car, circling the left one. His gay brother was drawing a small purse. The word was “Clutch”. We still laugh about that one.

27. Alicia J
    December 17, 2017 @ 9:39 pm

Time’s Up is an excellent game and is adaptable to large groups.

28. Robyn Beagle
    December 18, 2017 @ 12:04 am

Joking Hazard is similar to Cards Against Humanity but with cartoon images, it’s by the Cyanide & Happiness cartoonists. Very fun, also for mature audiences.

29. Antonella
    December 18, 2017 @ 8:16 am

Thanks for the book links! They look terrifying and sobering at the same time. Choice is a luxury that not everybody has.

30. Sarah Canapa
    December 18, 2017 @ 10:36 am

Our favorite games are Rummikube and Settlers of Cataan. Great family fun. Also, Twister. Love the kitten pictures! We adopted two last week for my 5 year old son and I am so I love I’m lobbying to adopt a third. And foster once the kids are older. Fingers crossed my husband relents!

31. Jennifer
    December 19, 2017 @ 2:59 am

The Great Dalmuti (available on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZB56W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_lwmoAbYG8EYRW )
    Fast-moving card game, super easy for newbies to pick up, and you can go from loseriest loser (the greater peon) to the winningest winner (great dalmuti) in just one hand. Also good because while there can be some mild strategy, it’s not so intense it inhibits chatting and frivolity (I’m looking at you, Settlers of Catan).

32. valarie sanford
    December 19, 2017 @ 10:05 am

Cuteness overload…you MUST check this out Victoria if you’ve never seen it, a pouch for your kitten! https://www.buykittyroo.com/?utm_source=Email2016Q1&utm_medium=KittyRoo&utm_campaign=121817

33. elizabeth
    December 19, 2017 @ 1:34 pm

Dutch Blitz is theoretically family-friendly, but I swear it makes me curse like nothing else. It’s basically competitive solitaire that moves really fast, but if you get two packs you can easily have eight people playing at once. Smart Ass is a fun trivia game that also moves really quickly, and I’ve rediscovered how much I enjoy playing Uno with my nephews.

34. ooberkits
    December 19, 2017 @ 7:26 pm

Telestrations is my favorite party game. Plays up to 8, great for mixed age groups. If you aren’t good at drawing or guessing, it just makes the game better.

35. Jess
    December 20, 2017 @ 8:20 am

Telestrations is really great! It’s like pictionary and telephone had a very silly baby. We use the “after dark” (adult) version, but there’s a tamer one too. We’re also fond of Pandemic (fun because it’s collaborative) and Code Names, though that one has a bit of a learning curve.

36. Amber S.
    December 20, 2017 @ 11:49 am

That princess bride quote would have been hilarious at the wedding!! And Oh! I LOVE Balderdash! I hope you and your family have a VERY MERRY Christmas!!! Here are my game suggestions: Spinner, it’s a domino game that has wilds in it (like a wild card), so, so fun! Apples to Apples (we’ve played this at work a few times and it’s always a lot of fun!) Also, we really like playing some of the variants of scrabble: (you can find a list on wikipedia), but this is my favorite, it results in a LOT of laughing! Take Two (also called Speed Scrabble or Bananagrams) is a fast-paced, non-turn-based Scrabble variant played without a board. Tiles are placed face-down in the middle of the table in a communal pool and each player is given a small number of face-up starting tiles. From their starting tiles, each player tries to build his own valid Scrabble grid—players do not use each other’s grid or tiles. When a player successfully uses all of his face-up tiles, he shouts “take two”, and every player takes two more tiles. Play continues until there are no more tiles left to draw. In some variants, the person who creates the first complete grid when all the tiles run out is the winner. In others, a calculation based on word length is used to determine the winner. Some variants allow for the exchange of unwanted tiles. Local variants include Take One or Take Four; the banning of 2 letter words; having a dictionary on hand for any players to use (but since it is a game of speed, this doesn’t get used much); a bonus of 50 points for building the word “chicken”, a bonus for longest word (number of letters in word, not tile values; and only if a single player has longest word), etc.

37. Susannah
    December 20, 2017 @ 4:30 pm

We are big Scotland Yard fans in my family although we call it “Mr. X.” Telestrations is also absolutely hysterical. The kittens have left me dead and longing for kittens.

38. Tilesbay
    December 22, 2017 @ 4:36 pm

The kittens are devastatingly adorable !!!!!!

39. Natalie Barney
    December 23, 2017 @ 12:01 am

I can’t wait to read Evicted. As a foster parent living in Milwaukee I’m face to face with the issue of women and poverty in this city. I’ve never heard of this book but have a feeling it’s going to give me insight I didn’t have before.

I’m also a cat lady. Keep the kitten pictures coming!

40. Tracey
    December 25, 2017 @ 9:18 pm

This is late to the game, but I got our mid-teens the game “Not Parent Approved,” which is exactly CAH but cleaner. It can get just a little inappropriate, enough that my kids think it’s funny but aren’t horrified or scarred for life. It would be fine to play with more proper types, too. We also have Apples to Apples but this one is more fun, I think.