1. Lisa D.
    December 23, 2018 @ 6:13 pm

Wow. I thought I was obsessive and a perfectionist about everything to do with kitchens, interiors and design, but Victoria, you have me beat by miles. You must know some secret source of research that the rest of us know nothing about.

2. Carisa
    December 28, 2018 @ 11:52 am

Noise is the WORST! I live on a lovely hillside in the woods on 5 acres and the damn road noise nearly ruins the place. But I must ask, how can you stand all the noise the cats make? I always swear the house is haunted because of how much noise my cat and my new kitten make just walking around. They sound like grown people. Like grown elephants. Pitter patter my patootie. 😉 Would be nice not be be kept awake when the kitten decides it is time to go to war with the entire house at 2am. My older girls is very dignified and goes to bed when I do. So polite. New kitten of doom doesn’t give a damn about my sleep.

3. Mem
    January 1, 2019 @ 11:00 am

Unclear on what happens the third time you boil over a pot of buttery oyster stew. . .and then spend a week poulticing your stone countertop. Granite is most impervious to staining but an honest granite supplier will tell you that you can’t put a hot pot on granite because the variable mineral structures could react to heat at differently and crack. Not common but possible. Soapstone must be sealed to mask oil spots and the oil/wax sealer would make a mess under a hot iron skillet, wouldn’t it? Slate will show oil stains. Re: engineered surfacing — lots of people in renovation forums complain that they aren’t as stain/cut proof as you’d think, and surely cooking on a surface is the harshest test possible?? Maybe there are other options. Glass or ceramic? (I’m not dropping a hot Dutch oven on a glass countertop, no way no how). Don’t mean to sound cranky but I’d like to know how the manafucaturers address this problem. Commercial kitchens don’t much care about stains. I can’t imagine VEB staring at oil stains and not hallucinating sheep or Mother Mary or nuclear silos. Paul would have to hire a stain-whisperer. When the whisperer fails they would move to the basement, cook on a hot plate, fall in love with their Instapot, and end up living on microwaved burritos. Paul would come home to find Victoria drawing on her arms with a glitter pen. Save them!

4. Cynthia
    January 26, 2019 @ 10:57 pm

I had no idea what a headphone amp was, so I looked it up. And this is what I found. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-a-headphone-amp/

Now I doubt you are interested in this since you were saying how sound waves / science are boring – but maybe some of your readers might be.

BTW, thanks a lot for getting me stuck on the induction in the countertop thing. I was just looking for some I could retract or fold up or something. But, anyway, now that you have me hooked, please pursue and report on this!

5. Jennie
    January 29, 2019 @ 8:46 pm

You can more inexpensively (not inexpensive, but less so than soundproofing and awesome speakers) audiophile music by using an exact audio copy loss-less system (EAC and Foobar are free) and running it through a lossless player (like a Hifiman) and very good headphones (AKG are good). It’s not cheap by any means, but it’s also somewhat affordable to have extremely good sound quality. I’ve had my Hifiman 801 for 8 years, and my AKG K271 MKii headphones for 10 years and they are still going strong and deliver excellent sound quality and get used every single day.

6. Mary Henry
    February 4, 2019 @ 4:04 pm

Where are you? You are missed. When will you return?