1. Sandy
    June 8, 2018 @ 9:50 pm

HA! I’m anti hood too 🙂 And I think I read the same forum. Folks YELLING at that poor woman. How DARE she ask, “Can you have a stove/range without a hood vent?” The end of our galley is the ‘home’ of our range – right next to the back door. Smoke no problems. Throw the door open! Smells no problem – I don’t get the ‘smell’ argument anyway. My husband buys food scented candles/tarts -pancake, Christmas cookie, blueberry…I’m sure if there was a “fish fry” we would own that one too! LOL Anyhoooo – we have a through wall 1950’s kitchen fan – that still works! I rarely use it. Our 1950’s cupboards have not disintegrated from grease. Go figure!

2. Kyleigh
    June 21, 2018 @ 10:36 pm

I cannot express to you in words how much I enjoyed this entire article. So funny! So well written and this subpar human has decided, Lord willing, to put an island I’m with a stove and no vent!

3. Sherry
    June 28, 2018 @ 12:43 pm

I have a down draft … I cook steaks & other meats QUITE often in cast iron & the proof I need SOME kind of directed ventilation is the nasty, goopy, sloppy grease trap I have to clean out most every other month.
    It’s a complicated affair that requires paper towels & kitchen tongs. But it keeps my kitchen (somewhat) from being coated in grease from the smoke generated when I cook. My kitchen is 20’X20′ … am I REALLY going to wipe down the whole thing (cabinets, light fixtures, etc.) every time I cook a steak? Doubt it…..
    I don’t care for the down draft, but it’s done the job for 12 years.
    My Jenn Air cook top is old, has some issues & is (I think) ugly … but I’m not ready to pull the trigger on a new one … the gas ones are VERY expensive & they only have a few models (none of which I’m mad about) …. and putting a ventilation hood in my kitchen would be CRAZY expensive & ruin the openness of the room.

4. Navi Lee
    July 11, 2018 @ 10:04 am

🤭 Oh dear lord, we can do that?! I am showing this to my husband. I don’t feel I need one either and have been trying to find ways to tell him. Thank you.

5. Sophie
    August 31, 2018 @ 6:28 pm

I really think Downdraft is the way to go. Avoid a range hood, unless it is in-between cabinets and it is up against the wall , never ever put it in the middle of the room it takes away from the room. Today, most people prefer Downdraft consider a high quality quieter one . We view properties as part of our job, and we viewed a high end fixer house with a massive range hood right in the middle of the kitchen , so when you opened the door of the house your eyes went right to the range hood, an ugly silver monstrosity! As the walls came down to create an open floor plan I told the contractor remove the big range hood, put in a Downdraft . So, when you opened the door the eye went right to the spectacular view. The kitchen looked like a modern, open inviting space with much cleaner look. Second thing, to avoid is a really dark cabinets, it casts a darkness into the room it can even change color appearance of granite /quartz countertops, we’ve seen it done. Dark cabinets are for mansions with super big kitchens and/ or if you can offset the dark cast your in luck. There are ways to do that . Just something we’ve noted in our work

6. Carrie Appel
    June 17, 2019 @ 5:50 pm

Thank you for this post and the inspiration photos. We’re currently doing a whole house remodel and I’ve put off the range hood decision for as long as possible. I hate them, they’re ugly and we rarely used ours when we had one. Youve helped me make up my mind – I’m installing lighting instead!

7. Karen
    June 28, 2019 @ 12:32 am

I too hate range hoods. And will not be installing one in our new kitchen. I raise a toast to you…and I join thee as a subhuman moron happily surviving without a range hood!

8. Mina Gligorić
    July 11, 2019 @ 9:49 am

Me too, everyone around me thinks that’s the appliance to have! Yes it’s a time-waster and it’s rarely used and cleaned even more rarely! Wow. You helped me decide – no hood, just a besutiful minimalistic black and white kitchen from my dreams!

9. Paul
    July 19, 2019 @ 12:10 pm

NEW to your blog. I know this is an old post, but GLAD I ran across it. I am stopping my search for a range hood in my kitchen remodel (kitchen move actually) thanks to YOU! I don’t think I need a 40+ inch range hood when I have done without for 15 years. Yes, I had a smaller stove and there was a small “bathroom” like vent above the stove, but I don’t need a big vent now.

Now, if you can help me decide on cabinets to match my flooring……

Thanks
    Paul

10. Joelle
    July 23, 2019 @ 3:57 pm

Great article! I will be framing and hanging it over my stove! 😉

11. Angela Hawley
    August 17, 2019 @ 5:20 pm

Thank YOUUUUUU!!!
    my husband And are in disagreement right now over this issue. With a peninsula range(gas) . he wanting to spend a hefty 3500 for a newfangled downdraft range.. I believe not nessisary, as we had no hood and did fine for 25 years.. Whatever we painted the kitchen twice. I just. Am unwilling to spend that kind of money, for what seems to have pretty mixed reviews anyway. And range hoods are ugly , noisy, and people I know who have them rarely ever use them!!

12. Lynn Weddle
    August 20, 2019 @ 10:26 pm

I know I’m beyond fashionably late to the party, but help me? I will not be installing a range hood over the gas stove in my 1842 log cabin, with 1980 knotty pine kitchen. The stove backs up to a log wall, and I envision a mirror reflecting the lake, hanging cast iron skillets, and a colored glass light fixture. There is a whole- house fan above the stove, as well as ample windows and glass doors to crack. But what about the bathroom exhaust fan, which does not work? I have a big bathroom window. I want to replace the fan with another fabulous light fixture, and just crack the window when needed. I live on a lake and am a fresh air freak anyway, so a little air even in winter is fine! Will probably just do what I want anyway, just looking for some kindred spirits?