1. Kristy
    July 23, 2017 @ 7:03 pm

I have had vent hoods in previous (rented) places we’ve lived, and I almost never used them. The house we bought is older and has no hood above the stove, nor any room to put a hood. I’ve been told, though, that if we were to remodel, the building code supposedly DOES require a hood, so I have to either live with the kitchen as is or put one in. (I have no problem with the lack of hood. I don’t really fry anything, but steam just rises and dissipates. I haven’t noticed any strong food odors, but if you think food stinks that badly, I wonder what that person is eating, lol.)

2. Jennifer Rambo
    August 30, 2017 @ 12:58 pm

I have a range hood and hate it so I do not use it. We live in the South so when possible we cook anything that would need frying or leave an odor on the grill. We sautéed shrimp kabobs with veggies last night. No smell inside. Quick cleanup. Beautiful kitchen.

3. Amy
    September 8, 2017 @ 10:28 am

I love this post. I just found it while googling “do you need a vent over an electric stove”. I honestly didn’t even know you didn’t have to have one, but I love the idea of removing it. I actually have a hood vent, but its old and doesn’t work. I never have any food odor issues. I usually put a lit over pans to reduce splatter. I might just take it out tonight. Thanks, Amy

4. Gail Hockley
    September 8, 2017 @ 7:50 pm

We are doing our kitchen over and we are NOT putting in a new range hood or havimg a down draft with the slide in stove. The range hood we had for 30 + years was not vented but had filters that we were to replace. I NEVER used it. Never any problems. Go with what you like and do not let the internet intimidate you.

5. Gail
    September 8, 2017 @ 7:54 pm

6. Jennifer Burchett
    September 18, 2017 @ 10:22 pm

I LOVE reading your posts. You are so funny-and so talented!

7. Kathy
    September 27, 2017 @ 4:44 pm

Just going through remodel ourselves, and have decided on no vent! We shall see, but we hardly use the one we have now and my range is on an island with a beautiful view.