1. Deni
    June 29, 2017 @ 10:18 am

Moved into a house without a range hood and turns out we don’t need one. Our home doesn’t smell and we rarely cook anything with a lingering smell. Doesn’t create a mess, there isn’t even grease on anything except the range itself. Not sure how your homes are getting so smelly and filthy? Maybe clean more.. .

2. CHRISTINE LEWIS
    July 22, 2017 @ 6:10 pm

Hello Victoria, depending on your cooking style, I would I vote in favor of a hood fan. Cleaning kitchens with no hood fans, I have found ocer time that upper walls, cabinetry and open shelving becomes sticky and caked with airborne grease and dust. The hood fan will help keep your kitchen cleaner can smelling fresher. Also, have you considered a temporary installation of a laundry tub outside your kitchen area for prep while you’re kitchen sink is out of commission in the kitchen remodel? I wonder if a tented outdoor temporary kitchen might be worth putting together, of course dependent on time of year for the remodel. Meanwhile, completely love your blog and send love and prayers to you and Paul that the home gets completed soon. So fun to see your progress!

3. Kristy
    July 23, 2017 @ 7:03 pm

I have had vent hoods in previous (rented) places we’ve lived, and I almost never used them. The house we bought is older and has no hood above the stove, nor any room to put a hood. I’ve been told, though, that if we were to remodel, the building code supposedly DOES require a hood, so I have to either live with the kitchen as is or put one in. (I have no problem with the lack of hood. I don’t really fry anything, but steam just rises and dissipates. I haven’t noticed any strong food odors, but if you think food stinks that badly, I wonder what that person is eating, lol.)

4. Jennifer Rambo
    August 30, 2017 @ 12:58 pm

I have a range hood and hate it so I do not use it. We live in the South so when possible we cook anything that would need frying or leave an odor on the grill. We sautéed shrimp kabobs with veggies last night. No smell inside. Quick cleanup. Beautiful kitchen.

5. Amy
    September 8, 2017 @ 10:28 am

I love this post. I just found it while googling “do you need a vent over an electric stove”. I honestly didn’t even know you didn’t have to have one, but I love the idea of removing it. I actually have a hood vent, but its old and doesn’t work. I never have any food odor issues. I usually put a lit over pans to reduce splatter. I might just take it out tonight. Thanks, Amy

6. Gail Hockley
    September 8, 2017 @ 7:50 pm

We are doing our kitchen over and we are NOT putting in a new range hood or havimg a down draft with the slide in stove. The range hood we had for 30 + years was not vented but had filters that we were to replace. I NEVER used it. Never any problems. Go with what you like and do not let the internet intimidate you.

7. Gail
    September 8, 2017 @ 7:54 pm

8. Jennifer Burchett
    September 18, 2017 @ 10:22 pm

I LOVE reading your posts. You are so funny-and so talented!

9. Kathy
    September 27, 2017 @ 4:44 pm

Just going through remodel ourselves, and have decided on no vent! We shall see, but we hardly use the one we have now and my range is on an island with a beautiful view.