1. JackieP
    October 15, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

I just found your blog, and I can soooo relate to the stats thing. It looks like mine! The ups and downs and then one big up, and then many downs. But, we are both enjoying the ride aren’t we? I’ve only been blogging for about 4 months so still learning a lot.
    Also, I went to Texas with my brother when I was 22! We were from Wisconsin. Wild huh? So now you have one more follower. Watch those stats! 😉

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      October 15, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

Four months is still such a short time! I’m working on my seventh month, and I cannot believe how quickly it’s gone! I feel like I am pretty slow with my posts… other bloggers are creating twice the content I am, and I’m not sure if I just think slower than they do, or if I have less going on!

I *adored* Texas…where did you go???

• JackieP
        October 15, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

We we went to the Ft Worth/Dallas area first. Then Lake Worth for a bit, We both stayed for a few years. I mostly lived in Lake Worth, then in Springfield, had a bestie that lived in Rhome. So I was all over Texas. Was a great experience!
        Yeah 4 months is pretty short, but one thing I’ve noticed is everyone has there own ‘schedule’. Depends on how busy they are. I have 2 blogs. A food blog and a writing blog. So I keep busy with them. I have no life. Ha!

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
          October 15, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

We were in Ft. Worth… it really seemed like another world. A lot of that was just being young and on our own, which I’m sure you relate to. But some of it too, was feeling like Texas itself was a very singular experience.

I struggle to post reliably on one blog. I cannot imagine two. I mean, I can… a couple of times I’ve thought—Oh!! Such-and-such would be such a great idea for a blog! Then later, I’m like… please. Love the blog you’re with.

Also, no doubt any new blog I can think of is already in existence many times over…

• JackieP
            October 15, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

Oh Texas is like going to another country. I lived there for years, got married, got divorced and moved away. But there will always be a piece of my heart that belongs to Texas.
            My first blog was my food blog because I developed a wheat intolerance, and wanted to help others. But other blog is where my short stories, and other writings are. So yeah it keeps me busy, but I love it.

2. Brenden
    October 15, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Putting the word “naked” in your headline. . .pretty desperate. Also pretty much a guarantee you’ll see a spike on that little graph.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      October 15, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

You say desperate. I say savvy…
      It would have been better if you didn’t use your real name. Then I would have worried that complete strangers thought I sucked. It would have been so much more painful.

P.S.- “naked” has not gotten me any hits, but “exhibitionism” has.

• Brenden
        October 16, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Ha. Well that was the only reason I clicked. ,And to be honest, I was pretty disappointed.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
          October 16, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

After I replied, I realized a better response would have been to use my editing power to change your comment to read: Victoria, you are awesome.

• Brenden
            October 16, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Victoria, you are awesome.

3. Catherine Charlton
    October 18, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Thanks for sharing this up and down about tracking the stats! You write fantastically and always provide a reality check on the renovation/relationship/life front. Thanks!

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      October 18, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Thank you… this entire house has been a reality check for me. Initially, my instinct was to gloss over that piece of it. But, now I think being honest about it is way better. Or, at least more interesting.

4. a city girl
    October 25, 2012 @ 11:41 pm

Honestly I am shocked your numbers aren’t this high on each post! Your blog is very entertaining. As someone said you could do well writing a column and be super successful at having a following. Congrads and great work

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      November 2, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

Well. Thanks for that. I too am surprised my numbers are not astronomically high at all times. After all, I find myself incredibly entertaining… I can’t imagine the rest of the world doesn’t want to get on the bandwagon.

5. Pecora Nera
    November 8, 2012 @ 4:23 am

I try not to look at my stats but it holds a strange fascination and I find myself logging on to see if they have risen. I know it is very Narcissistic. I enjoy blogging, for me it is like sitting in a bar with a glass of beer chatting with a group of friends recounting the latest fun / mishap in life.

And I agree anyone who visits the blog and leaves a comment is instantly my best friend and can come to dinner and meet Mrs Sensible.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      November 8, 2012 @ 8:38 am

People who don’t look at their stats must have better impulse control than me! I check them everyday! It would be better if I didn’t… after all, the vagaries of the internet are kind of outside my control!

At the same time, though… you’ve created something and put it out for the world to see… probably normal to be curious if anyone read it!

6. Kylie
    November 16, 2012 @ 6:04 am

Just hilarious! I’m lying in bed on the other side of the world giggling away at your blog with my husband at my side completely disinterested in my mirth! Thanks for the nights entertainment. I love it!

7. Cork
    June 12, 2013 @ 11:10 pm

Your trip took me back on a journey down memory lane. Not a literal journey, but an abstract one just as satisfying. You so completely captured the essence of being in your 20’s. I adore my friendships from that time-some have endured, others have vanquished. Yet, even though I’m doubtful that was the best ‘me’ I had to offer (so many cringe-worthy moments!), in so many indescribable ways it was. The relationships I formed during that time are still the core I reference in my 40’s – is this a good person?, do I want to have a beer with this gal? a smokey treat? share my dreams and passions? Those smiles were pure and genuine. So many things lay ahead, yet isn’t it the not knowing that makes it so irresistible? Argh, to go back….not sure I would. The only thing worth the time travel would be to have that connection again, with those I love, and maybe fade a wrinkle or two.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      June 13, 2013 @ 7:27 am

SO MANY cringe-worthy moments. I would definitely go back… but I hope I’d do a better job. Like you said– I was not always my best “me.” I wasn’t a very mature 20 year old… (it’s possible I am still falling short) Although, it’s probably always hard to evaluate fairly the ways you remember yourself being an idiot. I try to tell myself no one remembers those things—just me.

And Lara. She has WAY too many memories of me being an idiot. That’s alright though, I’ve got some dirt on her too… Thanks for the visit, and the thoughtful comment!!

8. Kathie up in Canada
    June 28, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

Hi Victoria, I just wanted you to know that I only just discovered your blog today – in the wee small hours of this morning – and you have brought so many smiles to my face. I can’t comment on everything that has had meaning for me, but suffice it to say it has been a lot. I also checked out Younghomelove, since you mentioned them (just to see who they were, etc.), and I have to say I much prefer your blog. It resonates with me much more and I think you have incredible style and design sense. Don’t worry, girl, just keep blogging about what matters to you and what interests you and the kindred souls ‘out there’ will show up. Much love and thank you for your up front cheekiness and honesty. It’s refreshing and makes a great read

9. Cynthia Comeaux
    July 2, 2013 @ 11:51 am

I have no idea how I found you, I just know I’m glad I did. I first read your article about the “kingdom” mirror. Then I read every word ~ out loud ~ to my husband. We laughed really hard together. I thought my reading style contributed to his enjoyment but it was probably more of you just making me sound so good. You have a great talent. I haven’t quit reading all over your blog since last night. I’ll keep reading, and probably will keep commenting ~ you just keep writing, please. We’ll all do our part and everybody will be happy!!

10. Sabrina
    July 17, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

I just wanted to tell you that writers are snobs. We don’t like reading other writers’ writing. But I AM OBSESSED with your mind. We are meant to be best friends. YOU ARE HILARIOUS. I saw a quote recently…I’m too lazy to get on Pinterest and find the actual wording or even who said it…but you can look it up…anyway, something to the effect of “I just want to make beautiful things even if no one cares.” Keep at it!

11. Penny Mackenzie
    August 8, 2013 @ 8:55 am

My friend Frances sent me an email with a note saying “A blog to laugh at” and a link to your home page. Frances is always right so I wasted no time in clicking and reading. She was right, your humour is catching.

On the subject of stats on blogs. I wish I understood why I get so inordinately pleased when I get lots of hits. I am not renovating a home ( although it will feel like I am soon as we are moving from our lovely cosmopolitan apartment that never needed an ounce of work to the Dubai equivalent of the suburbs and a tired old 1980’s style villa with a dust bowl for a garden. SIGH) nor have special interest that I write about that has universal appeal. I blog because I too need to “foist my personality upon the world” and because I am an expat and am very far from home and because I come from Zimbabwe and we are a nation defining the word Diaspora and blogging keeps me in touch.

So thank you I will add you to my blog roll and check in regularly.

12. Barbara H.
    March 18, 2014 @ 11:28 am

I found you a while ago when someone linked to your Kingdom Mirror post and immediately subscribed via email. I just discovered Read from the Beginning and stayed up way too late last night (this morning actually) reading. I swore I was going to get up and get to chores outside today, but no – had to finish off the ice cream with one last huge bowl for breakfast and what better way to savor it than to continue reading your blog. Sadly, I can no longer read your comments if I have any hope of getting through this journey since you now get so many compared to the beginning posts. Thought that this post about stats might be an appropriate place to read through them one last time and then continue on. I’ve enjoyed every post – thank you!

13. Elaine Thomason
    August 21, 2014 @ 1:58 am

Love all your posts – just saw this one and since it is about Texas – where I live – I couldn’t wait to read it. Uh, did you do anything other than arrive in this great state? Did you ever go to work? I doubt I’m the only Texan wanting to hear a little more about your adventures. Anyway, I hope you found the locals to be charming and courteous – we try.

14. Payton
    April 15, 2016 @ 3:18 pm

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure you’re my spirit animal and I’m excited about that. You’re clever and funny and you think things through like me, so I’m in for the long haul. Also, your husband is adorable and you like cool old things! So I’m here. Keep your banana, I like you just the way you are.