1. chris v
    February 11, 2016 @ 11:40 am

Very cool. Very big. Interesting reading but I think I liked the portal comments the best. Nice to see all this old stuff get saved though.

2. The Bare Necessities. - Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
    March 8, 2016 @ 10:08 am

[…] on left, wardrobe on […]

3. Kiki
    March 8, 2016 @ 10:43 am

I just re-read this post for about the 1000th time – and I still laugh just like I did the first time – this is so utterly über-unreal and of course – nobody could possibly be blamed for the work that ensued, because.Nobody.could.possibly.know.about.the.additional.wall….
    You are the bestest!!!! And Paul the dearest…. I would be long divorced by now with ‘your tenacity’ – so good on you!

4. Kdws
    March 12, 2016 @ 10:01 pm

5. Kdws
    March 12, 2016 @ 10:02 pm

We clearly are twins separated at birth. I have decorated my entire house off CL!!! My phone even auto correct CL!!! And we must never ever allow our husbands to meet thereby ensuring their cooperation!! Ps. I too have removed window on my second floor to get my bedroom suite into the bedroom!! And I too shop philly!!

6. Celeste
    March 14, 2016 @ 12:42 pm

You are my spirit animal. My niece just sent around your website to my sisters and me, and we all can’t stop laughing because We Get It. We really do. You are one of our Tribe, and mere mortal civilian muggles will never understand. Now go out there and make us proud.

7. Once upon a time. Craigslist. The end... *video* - Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
    April 12, 2016 @ 11:29 am

[…] massive pieces of furniture dismantled down to nearly nothing and fit in the back of a minivan: 1. the portal to Narnia. 2. the Victorian bookcase. 3. the Empire […]

8. Debra
    April 18, 2016 @ 4:01 pm

We are the same person. I have found the one my soul loves!!!! I swear only YOU will ever understand me in this life!!!!

9. Dawn Sims
    May 28, 2016 @ 12:27 pm

Ok girl, I don’t know you from a hole in the wall but I love you already… surly we were separated at birth. Ran across one of your posts on a friends FB page and as a lover of large personality had to follow the post back to your page to see the mirror hiding out under those tarps.

I have been sucked in by the way you think, your sense of humor, and a husband that reminds me of mine… greatly amused by his wife with about half the patience of Job, enjoying the journey that is living with me.

I had a “Kingdom” mirror slip through my fingers at an estate sale we stumbled across a year or so ago. While I had RUN to sign in/up when I realized what we’d stumbled across. What I didn’t understand was the way the auctioneer was calling the items – lost it to someone who only bid $10… thought I was going to throw up.

My best to you and my could-have-been-brother in law. It was a JOY to see even a glimpse of your life… live and love the hunt – Truth?… I’m scared to troll Craig’s List.

• Dawn Sims
      May 28, 2016 @ 12:29 pm

*By “large personality” I meant the mirror. 😉

10. Kriss
    June 23, 2016 @ 3:23 pm

I read this out loud to my husband. I was in tears laughing so hard. I think if I lived in Philidelphia you would be my new best friend and our husbands would commiserate.

11. maggie
    July 7, 2016 @ 6:45 pm

Love it in front of the window…your brother is awesome

12. Chris
    July 19, 2016 @ 5:30 pm

Love it, awesome piece! Reminds me of the piece I recently acquired which my husband refers to as The Behemoth. I will post a pic if I can figure out how to! !

13. Barbara
    October 11, 2016 @ 4:32 pm

That is truly beautiful. My husbands head would explode if I asked him to do that. We buy furniture at auction (for resale) and I often get that clearly says what were you thinking.

14. Jinpa
    October 23, 2016 @ 10:32 am

I love you!

15. Fiona
    October 26, 2016 @ 11:17 pm

I somehow stumbled across your blog in a random internet search and I have to say I’m so glad I did!!

Your writing is hilarious!!

I’ve already read two of your posts and I’m going back for more!

Thank you for occupying your corner of the internet.

You. Are. Awesome.

16. Megan Jameson
    January 15, 2017 @ 10:50 pm

I realize it is almost 4 years after this post but I just found it and it made me laugh and feel happy to know there is a kindred spirit out there whose husband thinks they are a nut job but grudgingly do all the weird things we want anyways. Your writing is fantastic & I love it!

17. Kari
    January 21, 2017 @ 3:06 am

Too funny! Love the wardrobe…I totally get it!

18. Anne
    February 11, 2017 @ 1:51 pm

Thank you for your wonderful happiness-and-laughter-producing stories. I love them! My own craigslist story: after 3 years of looking – I found a baby grand piano for FREE! Only 3 blocks away and just needed to be tuned. Hallelujah!

19. Teresa
    February 12, 2017 @ 1:04 pm

What an incredible find! It is indeed stunning!
    If I had been that lucky! My husband would have taken one look at it and told me I was on my own, no matter how many I love yous!

20. Chris
    March 6, 2017 @ 3:18 pm

I have a friend whose house is for sale and used to be first a Masonic Temple and then her home and antique store. In the biggest room of the oldest part, there are, not one, but *two* giant mirrors, each *at least* twelve feet tall, maybe more, by *at least* four feet wide, maybe more. One of them has a gilt frame that has to be seen to be believed – – at least a foot deep/wide, and very ornate. (Unfortunately, when the building was subdivided into apartments, years ago, some jackass cut big notches into that beautiful frame to run water to a second-story kitchen… AAAAUUUGGGHH!) I don’t know if she’d be interested in selling either of these mirrors separately from the house as a whole – – for one thing, it’s not clear there’s any way to get them *out*, short of tearing open one whole side of the building! – – but you’d love them.

21. Brad J. Mead
    April 7, 2017 @ 10:53 pm

You’re a great writer, and I laughed a lot reading this, except for the parts where I cried, which was all of it, because this is what happens to me EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN’ WEEKEND, because clearly my wife is your long-lost twin. The only way I can try to one-up Paul is to admit I even worked at my wife’s vintage store. I have taken uncomfortable naps from utter exhaustion at approximately 7, 345, 218 antique shows since I met my wife. We even have storage units for our storage units.

I ask this out of complete love and respect for both of you, but what the heck is going on inside your heads?!?! WAIT!! I don’t want to know. I am scared I might find out. I feel better being naive.

P.S.: does Paul have a blog? Because THAT I think I could relate to.

• Linda D.
      April 8, 2017 @ 8:18 pm

Without a doubt, one of the best responses I have seen. *MY* husband could not stop laughing. In between his snurffles (a cross between laughter and a snort) he kept muttering, “Poor bast***s.”

Of course, this was before I dragged him off to see my latest Craigslist find…

22. Jeanette
    April 11, 2017 @ 12:08 pm

You and I are soul sisters married to soulful brothers! I relate to every single word of this post. My most recent escapade involved dangling a 3,000 pound (or so it felt) antique oak Murphy bed over an equally antique railing and lowering it from the second floor of the most beautiful round staircase (which is why they couldn’t just carry it down the stairs) without dropping it and damaging the most incredible floor tile, made of the iridescent inside of shells, I’ve ever seen. My husband and three sons made me their personal slave for a month after that one.
    Said bed resides in the middle of my living room floor now because we are still finishing the room it will live in, but I’m one seriously happy girl.

23. Angelia Gillespie
    June 22, 2017 @ 6:58 pm

I ABSOLUTELY loooove you & all your fancy finds….
    I think we are the same person….

24. Lee
    August 5, 2017 @ 1:57 pm

OMG I love your blog and writing style. I stumbled across this post and laughed so hard at your recount of finding this piece. First, hats off to your husband! I am married to a Master Carpenter with 30 years commercial and residential construction; he we said no if I asked him to go get this type of piece. Second, love this piece is the portal to Downtown Abby and Narnia! Yay to your brother for pointing out Narnia. I have signed up for your email list and can’t what else you find. I am decorating our house Farm House Chic. It started with a solid wood island that came from my childhood 1870 farm house.
    xo, Lee
    wineandcouture.com

25. Megan Knapp
    September 3, 2017 @ 4:20 am

Oh my goodness!! You make me wish I had all the time in the world to live on Craigslist and all the money in the world to stock my house with all the amazing things I know I would find on there!!! I LOVE antique, Victorian, historic, vintage, etc etc and my husband (like your Paul) rolls his eyes and uses words like obsolete. I’m such a mess, but I can’t help it. I think it’s in my DNA…