1. Nancy
    July 6, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

What about angling the two “wardrobes” to make two corner cupboards with the sink between them? That would take up less space. Love your stories. And your husband is amazing, despite the glares and gritted teeth 😉

• Kit Odom
      July 6, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Yes! The Husband is what amazes me most! (Besides the incredible luck and the great taste of course.)

2. Amber
    July 10, 2013 @ 11:43 am

This is one of the best things I’ve read on the internet, and I’ve read a lot of great things on the internet. Please tell me you’ll be writing a book when your renovations are complete. If so, you’ve already sold one copy.

3. 5 Bloggers I’d Like to Meet | Nouns and Violets
    July 13, 2013 @ 1:39 pm

[…] is supposed to be done. I’ll bet Victoria could help me decorate too. I mean, she found The Portal to Downton Abbey that also has an entrance to Narnia. What could she find for […]

4. Judy
    July 13, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

GREAT post. The best part is when you compare your husband to James Bond. I love that you appreciate him so much, and I can tell he totally loves you. So awesome. Glad you were able to make it work in your house. 🙂

5. Joanna Parisi
    July 13, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

This is vaguely reminiscent of the time we were invited to a church that was being dismantled by an ex-priest who told us to lie (unbelievably) and say we were from a poor church in rural Maine! In fact he had already told the story of the poor church folks coming to pick up the vestment cabinet and anything else they wanted to give us. We ended up leaving with not just the vestment cabinet but also the altar railing, vestments and altar cloths and as we were on our way out the door they tried to give us the shiny, gold, chalice! We were was lapsed Catholics with a big old inn in Maine. While I didn’t believe in hell any longer I was sure that if we took the chalice we be going there. The vestment cabinet had to be modified to fit in our inn and became a gorgeous centerpiece. The altar railing we sold to someone who was building a new bar in town so I may still be going south. Loved your blog and you remind me of me about 20 years ago! It’s great entertainment.

6. Melissa
    July 20, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

I’m SO lame that I cannot find the link to all the people who came to your “favorite find link party” so that I can see all the found gems! Are they in one place? I even went to April 9th via the archives box. The few other blogs I have followed have thumbnail photos in a grid that you simply click on. right after your post. I am a DEVOTED new follower to your blog, though, and my husband is reading your Craigslist wardrobe post right now and I can hear him laughing out loud!! Can someone PLEASE let me know where all the cool finds are hiding? I do notice that as I make my way through all the comments that you keep reminding people to link, but I am now so deep into your blogsite that I cannot find the party. Keep writing! I’m going to look at Craigslist next….

7. Liz
    July 29, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Would you consider cutting the 12 inches out of the center section? I’m sure you could use the sink and sink base elsewhere in the room. This is a new blog for me. I am looking forward to reading your other posts.

• Kit Odom
      July 29, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Noooooooo! Do NOT cut that beautiful wardrobe! It is drifting through time; your mission is to preserve it so it can continue its incarnations.

8. Dot Beams
    August 16, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

Just found your website and saw your hilarious blog on the gorgeous wardrobe. You must be a daughter I never knew. You’re hilarious. I’ve done the same thing finding unique pieces/antiques on Craigslist. Had to be the first to see them. Hubby is soooo patient. Found a beautiful three-part mirror several months ago that I broke my neck getting to it first. Knew it would be perfect when we remodeled our guest bath. Lo and behold, wouldn’t you know it … it was not perfect after seeing the granite and accessories. Back to square one. Thankfully, no problem. Relisted mirror on craigslist.com and sold it first day. Will enjoy following your blog.

9. A Secret Revelation | Cape of Dreams
    August 19, 2013 @ 10:22 am

[…] I had scored, but the problem was that I had not yet obtained it physically. Then, Victoria wrote this post about her Craigslist find, and I wanted to cry. “It’s not fair! I want to share my […]

10. Louise
    August 19, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Because you have about-faced my own kitchen design, converted me to worshipping pilar, and have had me spending HOURS looking for the equivalent to put into my own kitchen, I DEMAND you get this into your kitchen.

• Kit Odom
      August 19, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

That beautiful piece should never, ever be cut. Doing so would be a small murder. Preserve it for its future lives.

11. Sophie
    August 29, 2013 @ 11:56 am

I absolutely LOVED reading this. Thank you so much for sharing these amazing stories. We might be embarking on our own renovation project of an 1898 house in a small town in VA so this is scaring me and inspiring me.

12. Basket Case | Cape Of Dreams
    September 24, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

[…] week, Victoria, my blogger friend, announced that she was having a link-up party for everyone to share an object that they love from their house. This is difficult for me. There […]

13. ginette4
    September 24, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

Thank you for sharing, I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe, I totally get you!

14. Denise
    October 4, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

Oh you and I are kindred spirits! I’ve gotten that ‘look’ from my husband about 1,000 time! I’ve brought home a 12′ Armoire in the back of a station wagon, torn out carpeting on our front stairs (cause the dumb builder put carpet over beautiful hardwoods) tacks, carpet everywhere, he walks in, I get the ‘look’ he walks back out the door 😉 Needed his Truck for some cool find from a Flea Market and I tell him, really, it’s not that heavy?! I just sold my 1980’s China Hutch to a lovely young couple that liked Cherry and glass (yuck) and bought a huge antique hutch off Craig’s List for only $400 bucks! I was lucky the sellers husband was a landscape contractor and hauled it over in his trailer, my husband just shook his head on that one…I once ordered a big, wrought iron gate for our front walkway (from Arizona) that I made him install. I also told him I loved him and rubbed Ben Gay on his back that evening! I totally get it!

15. Brandon
    October 5, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

I have to show this to my boyfriend because he will love this piece just as much as you, and laugh as hard at your story as I did. Love this!

16. Linda D.
    October 8, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

Ok, so it’s been six months since you posted. Six months of living with a gorgeous piece and figuring out if you want to (a) cut it down (b) swap out your kitchen and living room or (c) move…unless you’ve still got it in your living room. Any insight into which way you’re going with this?
    I know. It’s sorta like a stranger asking when you’re gonna start a family – personal and all. BUT so many of us have forged into territory like this. How did YOU handle it?
    Oh, by the way, my carpenter buddy says that you *can* re-size the top decorative carvings if you cut down the sides. The real challenge is remaking the doors to fit. But if it ends up being a kitchen piece, my guess is you’d make new cabinet doors anyway.
    Of course, I want to *lengthen* the center section and use the whole thing as a headboard with flanking closets…

17. Kit Odom
    October 8, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

Again. I must say this again: That fabulous piece has floated down through time in perfect condition and picked you because it knew you would save it. Your job is to be its protector and keep it basically intact so that it can continue its journey through “life.” Do NOT cut it!

18. Julie
    November 7, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

You are my HERO!!! I loved every word of this, I felt every emotion, and I’m so happy to have found your blog! It is the best one EVER!!

19. Steve Ansell
    November 23, 2013 @ 3:03 am

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

I imagine you now realise I love this 🙂 – it is precisely what I try to do with all things “old and unwanted” Well done for having the vision (and husband) to reveal the awesomeness of this stunning robe… in all my years as a renovation-tragic I’ve only seen a handful of people who do this.

Blown away

Thanks

Steve Ansell (Australia)

20. Tara
    December 12, 2013 @ 3:21 pm

I have to tell you…. my husband just texted me and asked…. “remember that crazy article you sent me 6 months ago about that lady that had that HUGE furniture? I have to send it to a friend who is letting his wife redecorate.” LOL!

21. Becky Ackroyd
    January 10, 2014 @ 10:31 pm

I just found you through Miss Mustard Seed, and I think that your Downton Abbey portal is the best find ever!!! I’m currently under a husband-requested CraigsList furniture buying ban. 🙂 Reading your posts, I feel like you could be my BFF- only you’re actually way funnier than I am! So glad to have found your blog!!!

22. Elaine A Hall
    February 19, 2014 @ 12:08 pm

Okay!!! I had to check, but didn’t I see this piece for sale on ebay???? In York, Pa? (I have actually been there!!! 40 years ago! Trapped in Houston now :-c !!) I am sorry it didn’t work out for you because it really is a magnificent piece!!! Thanks for being such a zany person…we need more of this in the world!!! E.

23. Denise
    February 25, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

OK… I adore Paul. Just because he’s obviously crazy about you! And I wish you were my neighbor. You are so fun/funny/lovely!

24. Yvonne Angus
    April 24, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

I didn’t have time to read all of the comments, so someone may have already stated this. How wide is the top center piece? Because that is where I would cut it so I could get it in the kitchen. I figured you weren’t going to use the sink portion, (at least not in the kitchen!), so it would be okay if the middle was narrow…IF it is wide enough to lose 12 inches! While it looks amazing in your living room, it was SO made for your dream kitchen!

25. danielle
    May 18, 2014 @ 11:52 pm

Hey! I loved to read it! You have a fun way of describing the adventure!! I’m from Brazil, and I’m definitely following your blog from now on! sadly we don’t have this very same culture of recycling in here, much less a craigslist that works… anyway that was really fun to read! congrats on your find!

26. Lori Sanders
    June 28, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

I looooooved reading this article. It was soooo funny.. my husband had to pause his favorite race and ask what I was laughing about so loudly? I read parts to him and he ‘got it’. I would totally be you in this situation. Love to find great deals and steals. When we lived in town, it was at the malls. Now we live in the mountains. . . so I resort to Craigslist, yard sales etc. I loved your brother’s Narnia response too. Thanks for the humor.

27. Post the Sixty-Sixth: In Which I Ramble Incoherently, and You Learn Illuminating Facts About Why I’ve Been Distracted | Whimsical Adventures of the Reverend Doctor
    July 9, 2014 @ 10:00 pm

[…] That’s actually what I’ve been doing today*, but I’ve been awfully distracted by this. This woman is hilarious and I love her, and possibly want to be her, but only in the […]

28. Post the Sixty-Sixth: In Which I Ramble Incoherently, And You Learn Illuminating Facts About Why I’ve Been Disctracted | Whimsical Adventures of the Reverend Doctor
    September 26, 2014 @ 8:00 pm

[…] That’s actually what I’ve been doing today*, but I’ve been awfully distracted by this. This woman is hilarious and I love her, and possibly want to be her, but only in the […]

29. I started writing this post a year ago and I still don’t have a good ending. | The Bloggess
    November 9, 2014 @ 11:52 am

[…] know her from the time she found a massive mirror but my favorite was the time she made her husband rip down walls to save treasure.  Go read […]

30. VEB Might Be Our Spirit Animal | the Attic Birds
    November 22, 2014 @ 10:36 am

[…] fact, her post about finding absolute treasure on Craigslist not only made me snort-laugh in a public place, but […]

31. Diana Gibbs
    January 6, 2015 @ 8:44 pm

That is beautiful.
    You are hilarious.
    Craigslist was made for you.
    Paul is a saint!
    Keep it up!
    Hugs, Di

32. Lauren
    March 10, 2015 @ 1:41 pm

Victoria-
    I just had to re-read this post because I remembered a) it made me laugh. Out loud. and b) you are I are just such kindred spirits and every time I read your writing, I have to remind myself that you’re not writing about me and MY husband, because we operate in EXACTLY the same way. I am the finder of SHINY, FANCY, and he is the man with the bucket of screwdrivers shaking his head from side to side and reminding me (WITH HIS EYES ONLY) that this is yet, another bad idea. Just replace Victorian with Mid Century Modern and it’s basically an identical existence. Also? I need you to know that “Kingdom Mirror” has made it into our vocabulary as the catch-all phrase that sums up my fool’s errands for shiny things. It goes this like this:
    Me: OMIGOD! I found this thing on Craigslist! The guy is asking, like, way too little for it. It’s all the way down in ____ (insert far away place I have never heard of here). We have to get there before anyone else does! Can we get it? Can we get it?
    Husband: Where are we gonna put it?
    Me: WHAT DOES IT MATTER? It only costs _____ (absurdly low number in relationship to value of shiny thing)! I’ll put it in the garage! For now! Until we can sell _____ (shiny thing I just bought last week). And then… y’know… we’ll move it upstairs!
    Husband: (narrowing eyes) Is this a Kingdom Mirror?
    Me: (sheepish, enthusiasm waning only a teency weency bit): Yes.

33. Linda D.
    March 10, 2015 @ 3:54 pm

Lauren, you made me snort my tea. It was like you were a fly on the wall at my house. That is WORD FOR WORD what is said when I have a Craigslistgasm. Right down to my husband asking, “Is this a Kingdom Mirror?”
    Victoria, I think it has officially entered the lexicon.
    Really.

34. Magical Narnia wardrobe? Nope. Just regular type. | THE NEBLOG
    March 16, 2015 @ 8:26 pm

[…] associate the blog post title with Victoria Elizabeth Barnes, do yourself a favor and read this post. I consider her my blog […]

35. Charlotte
    April 22, 2015 @ 1:41 am

First of all…I don’t think you were nuts in wanting it or getting it! And I LOVE where you put it!! It’s perfect!! Makes it amazingly original and also purposeful. You done good, and I love your philosophy on why you had to get it, how you didn’t really feel awfully bad when your wonderful husband had to UN-install it from its original moorings, and your drive to get it NOW…put your shoes on and go go go!!! I’ve been like that myself!!
    One time we had a three-piece lattice room divider, and after studying it for a week or so, I decided that 1/3 of it could go on its side, across a counter we had in an old mobile home to make a nice division between the dining room and the washer/dryer area. My husband had a fit! But, in the end, at my incessant insistance! he put it up and besides myself loving it, everyone else did too! Then when we moved to a much nicer place, we didn’t have a headboard. When I told my husband to put up that lattice piece that had been across the counter, and use it as a headboard, he had another fit!! (I remember it being a major fit!) But, in the end..up it went and it looked GREAT!! It’s so rewarding to be insightful and IMAGINATIVE! Victoria, you are becoming my kindred spirit!
    Looking forward to all the posts I’ve missed (today is April 21, 2015).
    Keep up the good work and your delightful way of describing it all!

36. Jenny
    June 18, 2015 @ 2:34 pm

You are def my soul sista! Hubby gave me a 50 mile radius after we drove 2 hrs to get leather sofa in my jeep.. Then haul it upstairs and thru narrow halls and THEN it don’t fit.. Hubby says did you measure? Me – well kinda but I couldn’t find your tape measure so I guesstamitaed.. So…
    Long story short- we drove 2 hrs on freeway with couch tied to top of jeep- and everybody wizzing by AND taking photos!

Hey I did my part by finding a BARGAIN!
    That 50 mile radius.. Lol
    My husband aka as the enabler drove to Ga 2 days before Christmas to rescue another dog and then 2 yrs later drive to NY and back – because this dog LOOKED at me and then spent a small fortune to get her well..
    I’m already scoping the country for my NEXT big find..
    Luv ya girl!

37. Lisa
    August 31, 2015 @ 9:41 pm

This post made me laugh out loud with glee!!! I know the exact feeling and my husband knows the exact excitement that lies in my bones when I find “that one must have piece”!!! The last picture is my favorite and what an AMAZING place for it!! LOVE!!! Your one lucky lady to have a hubby that goes the extra mile without hesitation! And now you have the gates to Down Town Abby and Narnia to boot!! 😉

38. Karen
    December 10, 2015 @ 1:33 am

I too think you shoul cut your inches out of the middle bit and make it fit the kitchen. But I guess you have got used to it where it us now!

39. Carla Minosh
    January 18, 2016 @ 6:59 pm

We must be living parallel lives! My husband and I have found more treasure “off the beaten path” than you would believe, though most of our finds have been from eBay rather than Craigslist. Although, that is simply because Craigslist didn’t exist at the time when we collected most of our pieces. Come to think of it, we’ve been collecting long enough that the Internet hadn’t even been invented when we started assembling our random bits of flotsam and jetsam that adorn our home. I’ve been doing a blog about our restoration of an 1874 Victorian mansion in Southern Virginia at http://danvilleexperience.blogspot.com/. I loved the portals, the hard work, and the sense of fun that you bring to your experiences. Imagination, hard work, and humor will have you navigating life as a great adventure, no matter what the circumstances.

40. Victoria Miller
    January 24, 2016 @ 7:45 pm

Hello! I found your website after my husband hoisted our new, huge and expensive mattress sets onto our newly acquired, antique four poster beds in the guest room. And we realized that the mattress sets covered up 3/4 of the headboards. And they began at 19 inches off the floor and ended at a height I was unable to reach without a stepstool. Then my husband laid down on one of them (he is a big guy….he was wondering how his even bigger BIL would like the bed when he came to visit) and all the L brackets on one side bent straight and, well, you can imagine. So I went to the Internet to find out WHAT was WRONG with us and why this kind of thing keeps happening, what we should have done, etc., etc. And then I found you! And I think that you and I were separated at birth! Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone and thanks so very much for staying focused on the humor and absurdity of it all!