1. Nicole Kapp
    March 29, 2016 @ 12:28 pm

That is such a cool chalkboard! I’ve never seen one like it before. Chalkboards are great for decorating, you can draw or write whatever you want on them. Pinterest has some great tutorials for chalkboard art and typography.

2. ELlen Kelly
    March 29, 2016 @ 12:29 pm

FAB U LOUS ! CAN YOU IMAGINE GOING BACK TO SEE SOMEONE LOADING THEM UP??

3. kmkat
    March 29, 2016 @ 12:30 pm

That is fabulous! But it must weigh a ton. Are you sure your wall will hold it? Paul may need to do some reinforcing.

4. Celeste
    March 29, 2016 @ 12:43 pm

I’m not sure how you were able to walk away the first time…but am relieved for you that you went back! Even if it wasn’t worth over 15 times what you paid for it, it is just totally awesome! Oh the things you can write on it! List of GFTs!

5. Charlotte
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:02 pm

Just curious-who would actually buy that chalkboard for $3,000+ ? Have never seen anything like this…a very curious item for sure! Love your writing style (my eyes started to burn). The “Husband of the Year” goes to Paul. He’s the most patient hubby ever, I do believe! I have a male friend like that (unmarried, and supposedly a confirmed bachelor but I’m working on him!). We love to go antiquing and he loves oddities and old, rusted things that can be made useful. It’s so much fun isn’t it! Enjoy your chalkboard!

6. Katie Bell
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:05 pm

This pretty much sums up my life.
    And my marriage.
    And reminds me of the vintage caster-ed wire laundry basket that I will have engraved on my tombstone as my biggest regret for not purchasing.
    Because I’m shallow like that.
    But, it haunts me still.

• Mary
      March 31, 2016 @ 1:31 am

LOL! In my mind, filed away, are list of things I did not purchase that hiss at me. I get a bitter taste in my mouth when I remember them. One I blame my husband for and I have to suppress the urge to smack him when I think of it or when I see something similar for like 5x the price.

I stopped consulting him. I also stopped worrying about him ranting that I’m a hoarder with zero regard for fiscal responsibility, the laws of logical space, and the importance of eating food instead of purchasing furniture.

• trini
        April 1, 2016 @ 10:36 pm

” …Suppress the urge to smack (husband) ….ranting that I am a hoarder.” You are fabulous, You prob have great taste girl. What is wrong with men anyways, don’t they understand that the world would be slobs in caves without some insane chicks with cool taste and no regard for practicalities?

7. Kathleen
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:07 pm

Thank you!! I was in bad need of a GFT day! As I cannot own such thing myself, I must live vicariously through you. What would I ever do without you?

8. Svietka
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:12 pm

girly-u crack me up every time and i love love love your writing. i m still waiting for the pic of plant free area where the GFT went-next to the window if im not mistaken.

9. Jill
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:19 pm

Victoria, you refer to it as a “broken” chalkboard. Where and how is it broken and what will it take to fix it? I adore this and will snap it up in a hurry if I ever come across one but I want to know how to make it whole if there is a problem with my future imaginary fabulous find.

10. Lisa Smith
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:38 pm

Dear Victoria Elizabeth,

Is that indeed your given name? I only ask because it is almost too perfect for that to actually be your name. Also, how do you bend Paul to your will so successfully? Please let me in on your secret. I’m not married, but this information would certainly be useful to have.

11. Nikki Gwin
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:41 pm

Your finds always make me scour Craigslist and yard sales and thrift stores more fervently than usual for a few days after I’ve read your posts.
    🙂

12. Gerry
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:42 pm

NEVER second guess yourself again. This is fabulous!

13. Patricia Budai
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:51 pm

You are a genius! And I am sure we are related, although I got the short and squat genes while you received the lithe and lanky ones. “Do you really want someone ELSE to have it?” Those we nearly my exact thoughts when I decided to purchase my 106 year old farmhouse, which I lovingly named Crone Cottage. I did not want someone else to have her eight lightning rods. So, I left the philandering husband in Oregon and drove to North Carolina with my mini dachshunds, Rose and Fiona. What made this move extra special is that I now live just eight miles from my one grandchild. This area is beautiful and an added bonus is that Moonshiner, Josh Owens, lives just three minutes away. Visiting him, Amber and Cutiepie is always so pleasant. I love the south and my moving days are over! Crone Cottage and her yard keep me busy and my hoarder gene is content with following your quest for the next GFT. Consider yourself validated. So when’s our next family reunion?

• judy
      March 29, 2016 @ 9:00 pm

This was the nicest tale of a Life smartly lived…I firmly believe the time has come to re name your Cottage to something befitting someone as sharp and smart as yourself. It sounds just lovely and not Crone like at all.

14. Kim
    March 29, 2016 @ 1:56 pm

My best girlfriend and I are totally in love with your blog! You have the best sense of humor and are a great writer!! I talked to my friend this morning and she said “Victoria would totally get us!”
    She and I have traveled all over the country going to flea markets and antique stores. Fortunately, I have a husband that is almost as bad. We have had so much fun searching for treasures. Thank you for your blog…..a bright spot in my day!

15. Jen
    March 29, 2016 @ 2:23 pm

When can we register for your class Professor Barnes??

16. Missy
    March 29, 2016 @ 2:23 pm

In doing the GFT math I’m pretty sure Paul owes you $3650 towards your GFT in Arkansas. *Never doubts Self again.*

17. dolores
    March 29, 2016 @ 2:26 pm

Love the chalkboard! So glad you went back it is awesome!!!

18. Diane West
    March 29, 2016 @ 2:50 pm

Yes, you can always sell it if the novelty wears off, and like my contractor said when we were building a house 10 years ago, “It’s only money.”

19. Chad
    March 29, 2016 @ 3:32 pm

I got a pair of big (not quite giant) fancy doors there for $75 in 2013 and then saw another one just like mine for $300. I tried to get the price reduced to $60 and I was almost embarrassed for asking. It’s funny though what things are really expensive and which ones are cheap.

20. Gale Norby
    March 29, 2016 @ 3:50 pm

I love your posts. The pursuit of GFT’s & shiny things just makes my day. I wish there were more of them! Wonderfully entertaining & a bright spot i always look forward to.

21. Judy
    March 29, 2016 @ 4:03 pm

Very sharp Virginia. I love you and your family and your followers are wonderful in their comments. I would never not read every single comment-they are so great.

I need to run out for milk now or there will be no after dinner coffee this evening and without coffee my 75 year old heart is loathe to keep on ticking. My purchases tend to be small and lack fancy so you are carrying the GFT torch for us and you do it perfectly. Just the right amount of reservation,careful calculation and Hurrah! complete capitulation. My kind of Leader. Thanks for another great read. Your writing is the Spice of Life to me.

22. Jenny
    March 29, 2016 @ 4:24 pm

What a delightful/grand/awesome/heavy find! I was stressed-out reading, until the part where you actually said you got it. A treasure indeed, and to think of all the people who casually passed it by w/o recognizing how fabulous it is – Yay, you!

23. Jody
    March 29, 2016 @ 5:13 pm

Without further adieu , I AM SO GLAD YOU WENT BACK AND PURCHASED IT!!!!!’

24. Andra
    March 29, 2016 @ 5:58 pm

Seriously? I love it! I would have taken it home too. I prefer not to think of myself as a hoarder… I am just being prepared for any possible eventuality that might ever occur in my lifetime. Space? Who needs to have to deal with such trivial thoughts.. Who cares if I cannot park my car in the garage because of the giant oak vanity I hauled home?

I am in serious need of more things to hang on my walls.. I need better options of “thriftiness”. I LOVE your blog… your fantastic GTF’s.. And I’m so jealous!

25. Anna, Sydney
    March 29, 2016 @ 7:50 pm

That’ll learn him. Paul. To doubt the Hoard.

26. Sharon
    March 29, 2016 @ 8:27 pm

The moral of this week’s blog is Self Knows All. Believe it.

27. MaryBeth
    March 29, 2016 @ 8:43 pm

Great buy, I live outside of Philly and I wish I had known about this liquidation. How do you find these places?

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      March 29, 2016 @ 9:10 pm

you can sign up to get email notifications of new sales… you know, so you can buy stuff you don’t need.

• Judy
        March 30, 2016 @ 12:06 pm

OMG…I have had the ultimate Eureka moment…You install the be u tee full chalkboard in the main Lobby of your Manse,consult the notices of GFT available for the Day. List all possible acquisitions and locations in order of avaricious priority and post same clear across all FOUR Boards.

This would give Mr. Paul plenty of notice to prepare the Van of Victory for all contingencies. Oh Happy Day…there will be multiple posts daily…Hourly?

• Regina
        March 30, 2016 @ 4:11 pm

Victoria – Would you share the name of the salvage yard that moved and/or the new location? I’m a Philly resident and would love to check it out (I promise minimal competition for GFTs).

28. Kelli
    March 29, 2016 @ 9:18 pm

Thank you for your wonderful posts! It is a highlight of my day! It’s nice to know there is someone else in the world that loves junk and a great deal as much as I! My best to Elvis-know how hard this is for all of you.

29. Lindsey
    March 29, 2016 @ 9:20 pm

Omg omg omg! Victoria!!! I am so excited about this Arkansas GFT. I feel like I am getting it, I am that excited. I am currently in Rio de Janeiro and I don’t want to say your post was the highlight of my trip but I have defiantly been counting down the days to see if I would get a post from you while I was here. You didn’t disappoint. Love you!
    And P.S. Paul, stop trying to talk sense into our lovely lady. I thought you were just here to help her move things, dance with her, and give her grudging support!

30. Lindsey
    March 29, 2016 @ 9:23 pm

Also, it’s my birthday so thank you for the birthday post!

31. Liz Thomas
    March 29, 2016 @ 10:50 pm

as I see it , you have two choices, you either go back and get it or you make it and I know you are clever enough to make it and …..Oh, I am here dying…..waiting to see a regular photograph of your kitchen with your piano (sans plinkings) …you know, just you and hubby with wine glasses klinking in toast to your gorgeousness in the kitchen!!!

32. Penny
    March 29, 2016 @ 10:58 pm

I will never get to be the first comment, because, naturally I live so far south of you, everyone else is first. But never mind, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!

33. Lisa W.
    March 29, 2016 @ 11:41 pm

You got it !!!!!!!!! Yay !!!!

34. Danielle from Storypiece
    March 30, 2016 @ 2:23 am

So glad you went back for the piece! It’s perfect on that wall… like it was meant to be. 🙂

35. Angela
    March 30, 2016 @ 5:34 am

Have you thought of putting this treasure into your kitchen?? Like “recipes, whats for lunch today etc? ” It would look really great there ?

• Shirley
      April 4, 2016 @ 9:30 pm

Angela, you’ve taken the words right out of my head! I think it would be fabulous in the kitchen – menus, lists, appointments and cute messages to
      each other!

36. natalie
    March 30, 2016 @ 8:31 am

i once saw a friendship quilt (you know, one of those quilts sewn in a group–in this case a women’s auxillary–where everyone signs a square and embroiders over it) at a monthly antiques market new my house. i saw it EVERY month for at least six months. it taunted me. i had to have it (but it was $300. for a quilt. and i was like 23.), but i convinced myself i didn’t NEED it. one month it wasn’t there. it’s been almost 15 years and i think about that quilt weekly. good job for not letting that fabulous chalkboard get away from you! i am proud!

37. Maria ONeill
    March 30, 2016 @ 10:43 am

One should never listen to the husband in such a situation. As the saying goes “Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.” The most ridiculous question being, “where are you going to put it?” Brilliant purchase. I, too, am green with envy.

38. Jenny Falcone
    March 30, 2016 @ 1:00 pm

Don’t take this the wrong way but…you are my spirit animal. I used to go swing dancing when I lived outside of Philly; I dont think we ever met though. I love everything you write! Food for thought…could you hang the chalkboard horizontally in the kitchen? Think notes AND grocery lists. You might have wall space in the addition…?

39. Trudy
    March 30, 2016 @ 1:19 pm

I kinda feel pieces such as this are fated to belong to a special person. I was never into auctions or estate sales until I became friends with some women in the business of getting up at the crack of dawn to go ahuntin. One morning I left my number eleven ticket into a home so I missed the first best rush. So I hopelessly wandered a back stair. My finds: a complete set of coveted red/white staffordshire China plus serving pieces. Then I wandered out to the barn and found an old wooden wheelbarrow. We all went home happy but I’d scored best. And I was a virgin no more. It’s not the destination it’s the journey.

40. Fiorella
    March 30, 2016 @ 8:05 pm

“Material objects overall are a source of unhappiness and basically a distraction from the real meaning of life which everyone knows is cats”

I’m going to make a banner of that. This is my new mantra.