1. Pam
    April 12, 2016 @ 6:04 pm

My heart was in my throat when Paul was spinning you around and both your arms were flying!! After stressing that those were ORIGINAL glass panels, I was thinking OMG and after all this time, one is about to get broken! ?

I should have had more trust in Pauls steering lol.

2. Edith
    April 12, 2016 @ 6:11 pm

OH my gosh. It’s so BIG and FANCY! So much grander than the bookcase! Good job!

3. Morgan
    April 12, 2016 @ 6:29 pm

The determination of sainthood hinges on the answer to the following: Did Paul know the clog story before proposing? If so, he knew exactly what kind of torture he was in for and did it anyway, so I’d vote for canonization! If not, well, a few more years of manic GFT chasing and acquisition should do it nicely.

4. Kiki
    April 12, 2016 @ 6:49 pm

Gr8!!! Oh so very worth the wait and ‘big sale of everything’ (you gotta be kidding me!) for this über-fancy-gorgeous piece of beauty! All the lions in the zoo are jealous… and yes, Sainthood for Paul is full-on, he just skipped a few hundred miles up on God’s waiting list 🙂
    The video really ‘finished me off’ – I got the mail with the post and at the very same time my visitors arrived so that I couldn’t read your post, just a quick lookie-look at the pics – and now that they’re gone, the darlings, I can and did indulge in the gloriousness of the super-tight-fitting bookcase and the brilliant mini-movie…. Gosh I’m so happy for you and Elvis and Paul.
    Just one tiny demand I have: Can we skip part 9 of your list – that would be toooooo sad!
    Bisous (kisses) from France, K

5. Toni
    April 12, 2016 @ 7:33 pm

Wonderful purchase! Lucky, lucky girl! Now Paul will have some peace……for a little while! :o)

6. Karen Lemieux
    April 12, 2016 @ 8:03 pm

We are best friends, and possibly sisters… just thought I should let you know. And, whereas you married a saint, I mated for life with a Vulcan, who sees no logic in pretty things. Fortunately my Vulcan’s salary has allowed me to hire strong humans to deliver and reassemble a Craigslist butler’s pantry, have Craigslist stained glass windows from an 1890’s bank restored and installed in our bathroom and to fetch my own Craigslist vintage camper from the state capitol after having a hitch installed on my car expressly for that purpose. One of the nicest things I’ve discovered about our friendship (which began last week) Is that I do not envy any of your finds but am happy for you with the purest joy possible. Live long and prosper Victoria Elizabeth!

7. Patty
    April 12, 2016 @ 8:11 pm

Absolutely beautiful and Elvis looks equally impressed! If it was my hubs doing this for me I know something was being planned, like a guys Vegas trip or something along that line. If nothing gets slyly dropped at breakfast one morning along that line then, yes,he is indeed a Saint!

8. TONI
    April 12, 2016 @ 10:27 pm

Love the bookcase – Love Paul – Love You and especially Elvis.

9. Rose
    April 12, 2016 @ 10:47 pm

Are those THE clogs that I see in the window?

10. Christy
    April 12, 2016 @ 11:20 pm

Well, I’ve waited this long to weigh in on my favorite blog.
    And this acquisition was worth the wait!! The perfect amalgam of spousal investment and unutterably perfect taste… Words fail me, but the end result is its own validation.
    Love, love, love your blog. And BTW, it was the writing that snagged me ?

11. Sunnie Mitchell
    April 13, 2016 @ 4:26 am

Oh wow – oh wow – oh wow! That is the GFT of all GFT and I’m over the moon that you have it safely arrived to your home. Gorgeous, staggeringly stupendous, well done, VEB, well done!

12. Susan
    April 13, 2016 @ 6:17 am

What a great piece (both the blog and the bookcase) I have had more than my share of clogs, but no one to fulfill my dreams the way your hubby has for you! What a guy! Just subscribed to your blog- if this one article can be so entertaining, I am sure the rest will as well!

13. Brittany
    April 13, 2016 @ 6:51 am

Please do not be upset at me asking this, but I’m trying to figure out what made this piece so special that you would sell so many of your other things? I know all those who understand it are just patting me on the head like one would do with a child who just can’t understand, but I really am curious. I really love your blog and have followed for some time and I mean no insult in this. If you have time I’m curious what is the difference in these GFTs?

• Judy
      April 13, 2016 @ 1:58 pm

I gotta interject my 2 cents worth on this one-you may not be aware that Virginia is a Lady of grace charm and dancing ability and also 6 feet tall-did you notice her petite-ness next to the GIANT fancy thing?

Also its total fancy-ness from the tip of its splendor to its 6 ft wide base.

The Defense Rests…..Phew!

• Kathy
        April 14, 2016 @ 12:39 pm

And I’ve gotta interject my two cents’ worth here. You must be aware that Virginia’s name is Victoria, right?

• judy
          April 14, 2016 @ 7:04 pm

Duh! Woe is 75 year old me-
          I live in Virginia and follow Victoria….sorry….

14. Tammy
    April 13, 2016 @ 7:31 am

That thing is fabulous and I would give up other things in my house to get it too. My new Victorian era 8.5 inch framed mirror would love to have tea with your bookcase.

15. Victoria
    April 13, 2016 @ 7:55 am

Hahaha. Sent this post to my boyfriend pointing out that I’m not as bad as you.
    Then accepted that I am as bad as you, I just haven’t found a ginormous piece of dream furniture recently.

So pleased you got it home in one piece!

16. Laura Whittington
    April 13, 2016 @ 8:12 am

You my friend are a kindred spirit! I have the same obsession with old large furniture, and my poor husband, like yours, appeases me. Thank God for them!

17. Marian@CMShawStudios
    April 13, 2016 @ 8:24 am

That bookcase looks so good by the Portal to Narnia! See, the Universe was just helping you get rid of all the inadequate stuff so you could have GFT harmony. And, as far away as Cleveland is, Arkansas is a lot farther. You did Paul a favor.

Looking very Fancy over there.
    The Other Marian

18. Christianne
    April 13, 2016 @ 9:06 am

I’m a busy girl. A lot of the time, I don’t have the time to read through the posts of all the bloggers I rarely have the time to read the posts of all of the blogs that I follow. But I really enjoy reading yours. Not just because I too, love ridiculously ornate things.
    And you are an ornery but wise one to avert our attention to Arkansas. I live about 3.5 hours from Cleveland.
    I, on the other hand, do not have high enough ceilings, a large enough home or the income to support this life style. That, along with your creative writing skills and ridiculous brain waves (which I adore), is probably why I keep finding time to read your posts. Even if my husband was Paul’s brother and would lovingly traipse to do my bidding.

19. Sandy Bianchi
    April 13, 2016 @ 11:46 am

I have been waiting to see what this new piece could be. You do not disappoint! It is magnificent. I loved the video too !!

20. Dianne
    April 13, 2016 @ 12:48 pm

Paul you dear sweet angel….this event will certainly secure your place in the hearts of women everywhere. 🙂

21. Katrina
    April 13, 2016 @ 1:42 pm

Does Paul have a Brother? 😉 Just askin’

22. Sharyl Murphy
    April 13, 2016 @ 2:15 pm

Absolutely beautiful piece Victoria! See you in the fall 😉

23. Deb
    April 13, 2016 @ 5:06 pm

Because You. Are. The. Cutest .Thing. Ever. Except for Elvis maybe.

24. Cheryl
    April 13, 2016 @ 9:23 pm

I agree with Princess Buttercup and Katie; I so knew #9 was not gonna happen else too many of us who live vicariously thru you would be crushed! And OMG, Paul said he retrieved GFTs for you just because he loves you and wants you happy?! You absolutely ROCK, and I am sooooo jealous. I need time to recover, but I am sure I will communicate with you again. You write like I think, so you validate me…….Thank You, Thank You (I am doing the little rolling hand/arm thing while bowing to you…..I know you can see me).

25. Leslie
    April 14, 2016 @ 3:32 am

Victoria,

First, I’m so happy you got your GFT to end all GFTs (or until the next amazing GFT comes along)

I stumbled across one of your blog entries a few weeks ago and have become obsessed. It takes me forever to read a post from you because I click all your links to other posts you’ve written. And then click the links in THOSE posts and so on and so on until I’ve gone off on so many tangents I’ve forgotten which post I started with. Also, because of this, I have NO concept of the chronology of your adventures. But, who cares, because it’s ALL awesome. And I’ve decided you are my soul mate. Or tiny twin separated at birth.

I had my husband read one of your blog posts (Only Idiots Stop To Think…) In the hopes that he would 1) recognize your genius and 2) recognize that since you’re CLEARLY a genius and we think so similarly I must ALSO be a genius and 3) take some comfort in the fact that there are others like me so I must not be as crazy as he (frequently) implies.

Remarkably, that was not his take away. His only responses to your post and my excitement at having found my soul mate were:
    “Poor Paul” and “Maybe Paul is my soul mate”
    To which I replied “Don’t try to make this about you”
    Love you Victoria. Keep writing. I’ll keep reading and trying to puzzle together the timeline.
    XOXOXO

• Em
      April 18, 2016 @ 12:32 am

Victoria (and Leslie),

Can I be a triplet? I stumbled upon your blog about a year ago while procrastinating regarding some of our own old house projects (I felt in a funk and was looking for inspiration to kick me back in gear on our house projects, but really I just found a great way to procrastinate more). I too kept clicking on threads and found myself laughing out loud so many times at reading so many descriptions of myself.

I also shared (forced) my husband to read some posts so that he too could enjoy how brilliant and hilarious you are. My husband only appeared to resonate with Paul.

I recently had a sudden obsession that I needed to acquire a church pew for our foyer. Countless hours were spent on looking for THE pew and when I finally found it, I quickly showed it to my husband. He is usually the voice of reason, but sometimes he sets me off-kilter by quickly jumping on board. The pew was located several hours away and I mentioned that we could save substantially if we (read “he”) drove to pick it up. He agreed that he could make a long day trip of it and I made the arrangements. I wondered and asked WHY he would do this for me and received a similar response to the one you did. I have few redeeming qualities that benefit my husband and his response only confirmed this as I am pretty sure I would NOT make a similar trip for an item he decided HE needed. Thank goodness for our enabling husbands (and our willingness to help them on their path to sainthood)!

Thank you for all of the fabulous posts!

26. rudy
    April 14, 2016 @ 1:32 pm

Did you say you worked at the CIA? I can’t tell if you are joking or not, but please tell us if that was really your day job. How absolutely cool. Was that for real??????????

27. Leah
    April 14, 2016 @ 1:55 pm

PLEASE DON’T TELL ME YOU HAD TO SELL THE KINGDOM MIRROR TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN…I MEAN THE BOOKCASE IS BEAUTIFUL , BUT THAT MIRROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Penny
    April 14, 2016 @ 4:38 pm

This is indeed the Greatest Fanciest Thing! Good Work!
    It is indeed worth selling all your possessions to get! Amazing!

29. Julie
    April 15, 2016 @ 9:59 am

“…the logical progression to that suggestion is that I am his path to canonization.”

30. Julie
    April 15, 2016 @ 10:00 am

BAHAHAHAHA priceless!!! <3

31. Kathy
    April 15, 2016 @ 6:03 pm

Victoria – The bookcase is nice and everything, but I LOVE YOUR EARRINGS! They’re beautiful. My birthday is in March and they look like aquamarines. Hmmm…. I’ll have to tell my husband. Do you recall where you bought them?

Just kidding about the bookcase. It’s absolutely gorgeous and fits into the total oeuvre of your wonderful house. Since I live not too far from Arkansas, I was trying to decide if I could find out where your hidden treasure was. Cleveland? You sly girl!

32. Janet
    April 16, 2016 @ 9:14 pm

When does Paul’s lecture series bring him to MI? My husband needs to hear his philosophy!

33. Payton
    April 18, 2016 @ 3:25 pm

I saw your not-decoy bookcase and basically started crying. THAT, that is BEAUTIFUL. I am so jealous of your great taste and inner-treasure-hunting instinct! I’m serious, you could probably be a professional craigslist shopper (have you tried answering “wanted” ads for a reward? you could find whatever they wanted). Wow!

34. Alice
    April 20, 2016 @ 11:06 am

I’ve been a longtime reader/lurker, but this story has delighted me so thoroughly that I just had to comment. What a wonderfully satisfying GFT acquisition! I love it, and I both love and envy your steadfastness and dedication. I wish I knew what I wanted and liked this much! 🙂

35. Carisa
    April 21, 2016 @ 5:35 pm

OMGolly! You are fabulous! I’ve just found you and am tickled pink, cause that’s just an amazing shade to be! I think many beautiful pieces got left behind on your side of the country, cause we don’t see many here on the Pacific coast. GFTs don’t travel well in covered wagons after all. Lucky duck you are! Love the blog, can’t wait to read more, and yes, your man is on his way to sainthood.

36. Maggie
    April 22, 2016 @ 8:49 pm

“I too was confused… so I asked him – WHY would you do this for me?

And he said – is it not a reasonable explanation that I love you and I want you to be happy?”

Sweetest lines on your blog, ever 🙂

37. Payton
    April 26, 2016 @ 11:23 am

I’m a little nervous you ended with “the end of my hunting on Craigslist and hunting down my blog” bit. I love reading about your house, and you, and Paul!

38. Natalie
    April 28, 2016 @ 4:05 pm

Smiling and laughing for the entirety of this post. GFT is truly beautiful! You and Paul dancing in the video…total swoon!

39. Megan
    April 30, 2016 @ 11:17 pm

I think we may have been separated at birth! I shared your Kingdom Mirror story and my friends and husband agree too. This story totally seals the deal. I too find deep unwaivering love for things…frequently they do involve carved wood pieces and “pointless boxes” according to my husband – I assure you everyone serves a point! Although, I must confess you are way better at sticking with a style and convincing your husband to go pick up huge things (Super eclectic here and my husband applies logic to my crazy purchases – which I have no use for)! Congratulations on achieving this bookcase. It is devine!

40. Gwen
    July 19, 2016 @ 2:45 pm

I like to remind my ‘long suffering’ husband that my ability for that same deep and abiding love also extends to husbands. It makes dealing with my quirky a little easier to take.