1. Becky Hering
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:30 am

Hi, We bought Apples to Apples for our Granddaughter its like cards against humanity but G rated for mixed audiences and just as fun….

2. judy
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:32 am

I wondered about the 404? post early this morning-I have become totally paranoid about hacking and scam stuff. My extreme aversion to the Dread Dufus now leading us into Poverty for All but the Precious 400 has me convinced that a 404 is code for black helicopters snatching me up and dropping me into the nearest body of freezing water. Glub….Glad to see your quick correction. Whew!
    If you don’t do just a shot of the porch disco balls and you in your blue diaphanous skirt and Paul in Tails dancing like the scene in LaLa Land I will be forced to …..be very very verklempt. I was going to avoid the eggnog and jack daniels but fear it will be my only consolation. Just a widdle? Prease?

3. Patricia
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:46 am

Pitt is a quick card game that, when played with the right group of dorks, is hysterical.
    I truly enjoy your blog!

4. Ann
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:47 am

This game is SO MUCH FUN!

Also, thank you for brightening my rainy cold day with kitties!!

5. Emily R
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:48 am

Telestrations! It’s amazing. It’s a cross between telephone and pictionary.

Also, random family is amazing. I think it should be required reading for everyone who ever said, just pull yourself up by your boot straps! Or really just everyone.

6. Jamie
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:49 am

We really enjoy Cover Your Assets. It’s a quick and simple card game that involves legal stealing.

7. KF
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:49 am

Let me recommend, if you haven’t read them, Amazing Grace, and Savage Inequalities, both by Jonathan Kozol. He writes on poverty, especially as it relates to education. Both were written about twenty years ago, and sadly, little has changed. Another book you might find interesting (I love the title), is Praying for Sheetrock, by Melissa Faye Green. And to be random, someone you might enjoy, if you haven’t read his work, and just for his beautiful writing, is Wallace Stegner.

8. Lauren Forrest
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:53 am

Games for dayssss!!!!!
    -Carcassonne
    -Settlers of Catan (really great game that gives you opportunities to enrage your opponents)
    -Ticket to Ride
    -Betrayal (someone gets to be the bad guy in the end)
    -Lords of Waterdeep (build up your shops, complete all your quests and become the biggest bad ass in Waterdeep)
    -Navegador (if you can find a copy – this is the best!)
    -Pandemic (cooperative game where you save humanity from infectious diseases)

9. Laura Coe
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:53 am

Wits and Wagers is fun as well as Upword by Scrabble

10. Katie
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:53 am

Due to a Settlers of Catan incident a number of years ago, for which I still refuse to take responsibility even though it was mostly my fault, we tend to gravitate more toward cooperative games where either we both/all win or lose together. Castle Panic is great—together you defend a castle from various attacking monsters. It’s pretty straightforward, quick to set up, suspenseful, and rounds only last about 30 minutes or less. Touch of Evil is also super fun, especially around Halloween. It’s cheesy and atmospheric and it COMES WITH A RIDICULOUS SOUNDTRACK CD. I always feel like I should be wearing a silly costume hat when I play. Finally, my dorkiest pick but favorite board game is Arkham Horror—but it takes forever, has a billion rules, and set up and break down are major activities in themselves.

For a non-cooperative option, try Dixit. It’s kind of hard to describe, but lots of fun, especially if you know the other players well!

11. KittenFan
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:53 am

Codenames is a great group game. Lots of hilarious connections and easy to learn.

12. Elise
    December 15, 2017 @ 11:57 am

Thank you for the fun kitten pics! They do look like they smell amazing. I don’t have a game recommendation but I just bought one that was recommended higher up by another commenter: Secret Hitler. If you are that commenter, thanks for this! Looking forward to playing it with the (only-adults) family next weekend. I’m also bringing my Cards Against Humanity. My parents are in their late 70’s but are liberal so I’m hoping it won’t be too raunchy for them. BTW did you see the recent “Cards Against Humanity redistributes your wealth” stunt? As someone who did donate $15 and did not get a check for $1000, and also didn’t get my $15 refunded, I was thrilled with the company’s actions. I got one of the ‘tough titties to the rest of you’ letters and it made my day. Feeling very fortunately to not be in dire straights financially; my heart goes out to those who are. Life during this administration is feeling very dystopian right about now.

13. Allie
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:03 pm

The kittens are adorable. This just made my whole morning.
    Also, Scattegories is really fun! And Catchphrase is a crowd pleaser normally. xAllie http://www.theallthatglittersblog.com

14. Shania Ring
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:06 pm

Obviously, the game for you is exploding kittens. Not literally. It’s a card game along the lines of CAH but…different. Look it up.

15. Jayne Z
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:06 pm

Thanks for the book recommendation — looks like it is well worth the read. Wish more people understood the vicious circle of poverty and the nihilism that accompanies it.

Love, love, love the little fluff balls — so glad they picked you for their foster mother! Not sure how you can part with them.

Happy Holidays to you, Paul and the kittens!

16. Joanna "Here for the cats and fanciness"
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:07 pm

OH. MY. GOSH. I think my brain exploded.

Those are the cutest kittens I’ve EVER seen. I’m literally frozen on this page now staring at the fwuffeh yittle baaaabbies with their jelly bean paws and I now want one to sleep in my sleeve too!!! How do they expect me to get back to work NOW??! haha Oh gosh – how do you do ANYTHING with them around?!

As far as games go – we play TONS of games at the holidays. Recently we’ve included Cards Against Humanity, Bucket of Doom, “Jesus vs Santa: The Epic Party Game” (TOTALLY recommend for Christmas!) but more kid friendly ones include Hink Pink and Scattegories. Except we create our own Scattegories using notebook paper and our own categories including Name, Color, Place, Food, TV or Movie , Animal, etc – and our own system. You write until someone yells stop (when they’ve filled up all their columns) If you’re the only one with an answer (ex: “Betty” for a B name) you get 5 points. If someone else has your same answer you only get 1 point. If you have a double letter answer (ex: Betty Boop) then you get 10 points. We play till someone everyone gets bored.

This year I’m introducing the oven mitt game to everyone- you wrap a present really tight (maybe in a few boxes, one inside the other.) Everyone sits around a table. You have to wear oven mitts and a santa hat while opening the gift. Except the person next to you is rolling dice – and when they get doubles, you HAVE to pass everything to them. Then they put on the mitts and hat and continue to try to open the gift while the person next to them is trying to roll doubles. Whoever gets into the gift wins the prize. (There’s a few videos of this on youtube and floating around Facebook)

HAVE FUN!!! – and MORE KITTEHS PLEASE ! 🙂

17. Lisa Federico
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:10 pm

“Catch Phrase.” The bigger the group playing, the better. It’s hilarious and appropriate for all ages.

18. Vikki
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:13 pm

The kitty poos are adorable. I love the game Mexican Train and no, it has nothing to do with legal or illegal aliens from a Southern country. Vikki in VA.

19. Diana
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:15 pm

Dixit is fun. Adorable kitties!

20. Katrina Lee
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:24 pm

We are a game family for sure! For cards we like Fluxx (there are several theme versions Pirate Fluxx and Star Fluxx are our favorites) and Spite and Malice. For Board games a few of our favorites are Sheriff of Nottingham, Forbidden Desert, and Tsuro of the Ocean. If you have more players Saboteur is great too.

21. Heidi Box
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:41 pm

Card Games – Manipulation, Spite & Malice, Sevens
    Dominoes – Mexican Train
    Board Games – Sequence
    Marbles – Aggravation

22. Jessica
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:44 pm

Games! We always have really good laughs playing Headbands (I don’t know why, but it’s funny), Apples to Apples, and Pictionary (I have know idea what real rules are; we just take turns drawing from our cards and everyone guesses at once. No one wins, but our awful drawings elicit tears.)

I want ALL the kittens!

23. Alison Rodriguez
    December 15, 2017 @ 12:54 pm

Cranium! A+ (from a Taboo-lover)

24. Abby
    December 15, 2017 @ 1:01 pm

Game: Carcassonne is my favorite board game. There is not much setup (as opposed to Settlers of Catan, which I recommend but play it with someone who knows how to play). Carcassonne is also good for kids, my 6 and 7 year old girls play it well and love it, although I generally think of it as a game for adults. Not hard to learn either!

25. Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens
    December 15, 2017 @ 1:12 pm

I want the other 475 photos 🙂

26. Bobby
    December 15, 2017 @ 1:20 pm

Adorable!

As far as games…we play a *LOT* of Rummikub around here. And Apples to Apples is a family-friendly version of Cards Against Humanity. 🙂

27. Deidra Messenger
    December 15, 2017 @ 1:27 pm

You must get Speak Out. Somewhat ridiculous, but hilarious!! fun.

We played it last year and seriously laughed so hard we were all crying. That, or we truly did pee our pants.

28. suz
    December 15, 2017 @ 1:33 pm

(song being sung by the charcoal/white kitteh in the middle of your sequence) ah feel fwuffeh, oh so fwuffeh … ah feel fwuffeh and pwetteh and bwight …! –suz in ohio and my five rescues

29. Katy
    December 15, 2017 @ 1:48 pm

There is no better game than Catan.
    How do you leave the house in the morning? I personally think you shouldn’t have to. You should apply for maternity leave.

30. Silvana Joanne
    December 15, 2017 @ 1:49 pm

I can’t handle the cuteness overload of this post. I need another kitten in my life!

31. Ginny Deppe
    December 15, 2017 @ 2:22 pm

Am I the only one who felt a yawn coming on when I cam upon the yawning kitten??

PS: we are adopting two “special needs” cats this week. Jake (#1) is diabetic and I pick him up today. Blossom was injured while being intubated for dental surgery so she coughs every now and then. She comes to us next week. Can’t wait to have kitties in the house again!!

32. crystal
    December 15, 2017 @ 2:23 pm

if you like cards against humanity, i think you would also like joking hazard. it’s very similar in its gameplay, except you make cyanide and happiness comic strips instead of sentences. 🙂

33. Marie Riley
    December 15, 2017 @ 2:47 pm

Wits and Wagers. Excellent fun!

34. Amy B.
    December 15, 2017 @ 2:57 pm

We love games at our house. Ticket to Ride is a lot of fun. Not too complicated, but you definitely have to strategize. If you like cooperative games, you might try Forbidden Island. it’s an easy to learn entry into the genre.

On my list of things I want for Christmas is the game Cottage Garden. It’s new to the US and I think you would love it. You make lovely little Tetris gardens with cats. adorable cats and pretty flowers: it’s a winning combo.

35. Donna Gibson
    December 15, 2017 @ 3:04 pm

I LOVE Quirkle. I even keep it in the trunk of my car for just in case I need a quick game.
    Will Wheaton of Star Trek TNG game has a show on YouTube that reviews table top games.
    There are geek shops (comic book stores) that hold table top game. nights and are a good place to try stuff out without buying it.
    Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are fun, but pricey. You’d be surprised how fun Connect4 and GuessWho can be with adults. And the old standbys of Monopoly, Life, Chinese Checkers, Mancala and Chess often get overlooked but are a BLAST to play with grownups.

36. JB
    December 15, 2017 @ 3:11 pm

Monopoly Deal – all ages, fast paced!
    Apples to Apples is a lot of fun too. Lots of laughs.

37. Marianne in Mo.
    December 15, 2017 @ 3:11 pm

Third generation of my family now is hooked on the card game “PIT”. It’s really fun if everyone is trading their commodities at once, screaming over each other to be heard. We also like Scrabble original and Slam.
    ONLY 500 pictures of the kittehhhs? Come on, slacker!

38. Rhonda McMullin
    December 15, 2017 @ 3:15 pm

Games: We LOVE castle panic, a cooperative game where everybody is on the same team. Sounds boring: Isn’t! There is also a version that is Star Trek or Wars or some such, which is also good.
    We play Farkle a lot, everybody can play (even parents and kids, no censorship needed) and it’s a nice one to do while you are just visiting and catching up.
    Captivation is a great word game, we also LOVE an older game we found called HuggerMugger. I think you would like the Frog riding a Penny Farthing on the lid.

39. Donna Gibson
    December 15, 2017 @ 3:15 pm

I lost my very affordable apartment near SanFrancisco when the neighbors flooded theirs & the mold invaded mine. The landlord was VERY dishonest and dragged his feet fixing things until I had to move out. He then quickly fixed it and put it on the market for 3x what I had been paying. Even though I wasn’t experiencing true homelessness, it was impossible to find anything affordable within reasonable commuting distance. My job suddenly ended due to the company being sold and I was really in a tailspin. Again, not impoverished, i had a buyout and options! But I now understand better how quickly things can go to utter shit overnight. I ended up moving cross country and taking a job at 1/3 of my previous salary and none of the perks I was accustomed to. I’m still readjusting —as only an over educated and privileged white girl can— with a regular paycheck and a roof over my head. And before anyone Rises up in ire, yeah I get it— It’s NOTHING like being poor, uneducated and lacking good options.

40. Teresa Kasner
    December 15, 2017 @ 3:19 pm

I’m enjoying your kittens as I can imagine how sweet and fluffy they are but do not have to clean a cat box. ((hugs)), Teresa 🙂