1. Gilly
    February 8, 2018 @ 4:29 pm

I am Australian….This post made me sooooo happy because finally there is something in Australia that someone covets and can’t have…..soooo happy. Because you see that is my life, I read so many American and UK blogs and there are countless things I see that I want so bad and what kills me is that they are WAY cheaper than anything we could get here! BUT if I have it shipped here then I always have to pay $1 000 000 in shipping fees. My house would be prettier and filled with more stuff I don’t need…if only I was a millionaire! So I will proceed to sit here smugly for the rest of the day. 😏

2. Chrisanne
    February 8, 2018 @ 4:40 pm

I have have had a Kitchenaid induction cooktop for 10 years and it is by far, my favorite appliance EVER, and certainly the cleanest cooktop I’ve ever had. You won’t regret the black. I have linen white cabinets, subway tile, and a light whitish granite counter…the sleek cooktop looks elegant. I’d compromise on anything but induction!

3. Heidi Penno
    February 8, 2018 @ 4:45 pm

Hi Victoria! I’m not 100% sure if this is what you’re looking for, but Ikea has something similar in white. It’s part of the NUTID series. Good luck in your search 🙂

4. Robin Heintz
    February 8, 2018 @ 5:02 pm

You could get portable induction burners, not install them permanently at all, and just pull out a burner when you need one. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10343776/?query=Portable+induction+cooktop

• cece
      February 9, 2018 @ 2:51 pm

How cool is that!

5. Darling Lily
    February 8, 2018 @ 5:08 pm

I prefer the black. Not that you asked, and I also prefer gas, so my opinions are meaningless to the conversation! Which of course did not stop me offering them.

And while I am offering up unsolicited opinions, may I just say that I will be glad when this trend of white-on-white-on-white, with a little white on the side, ends? And hopefully takes subway tiles with it, because I don’t understand why people want their kitchens to look like subways and public washrooms.

Regardless of what you choose, it’s going to be amazing, that we ALL know.

6. Lisa Morrison
    February 8, 2018 @ 5:18 pm

But where was your Dad?

7. Kiki
    February 8, 2018 @ 5:43 pm

I have had, for the past 25 years (in 3 countries in Europe) electric ceramic hobs and wouldn’t change for the world. Also, with a bit careful handling you won’t have a problem with stains and scratches. The only one I have on my now 10yr old cooker stems from a visiting couple who insisted to make the spaghettis and scratched the surface; I still don’t know how they managed….
    Also, take BLACK, please. I underline all the advice above, I have white countertops and they are HELL to clean, they always look dirty and if I had the money I would change them for slate which I had at the last two places and which is great, heat-resistent, I cut up all my stuff directly on them, it’s dead easy to keep clean and shiny and as a fanatical cook I would give much to have them again. Maybe I’m using the wrong term, we call it granite, it’s totally natural and has a ‘life’, inclusions, one of mine had little topaz bits… gorgeous. And don’t wish for a flush one either – sorry – you won’t be happy with it. The flush ones are so devilish to set in – and by gosh, if you should really break the top you’ll be in real trouble because you never get the thing out again. Our neighbours had one and they dropped a huge pan – it was a disaster.
    Sorry for the bad news you get from everybody – but really, the idea of giving your head a break seems reasonable – or you might ending up to hate cooking. And that’s not what you’d want.

8. cece
    February 8, 2018 @ 6:06 pm

My daughter has one and I HATE it! Sorry, but it is true. It is just not like gas, just irritating for me to use. On top of that, it looks pretty awful after years of use. I have tried to clean it, too, and it is a nightmare. I hate how it heats, seems very unnatural. We just bought a gorgeous gas stove with a convection oven and I love it. It is stunning looking, too, as it is a slide-in, so it looks super with the grates on top and all the shine is stunning.
    Everyone has their own fav , plus reasons why, too. If you like the sleek look than that is the one for you, but there are other reasons to like any stove. Visual beauty, yes, but also how well it cooks is huge. I cook many times a day and love the performance my gas stove and convection oven. My made from scratch cakes turn out better than ever! I also have had wall units before and they are too small and when they break, good luck on finding the same size to fit in the holes. Just my 2 cents, from someone who has cooked for hubby and family for 42 years.

9. Toni
    February 8, 2018 @ 6:06 pm

Induction was all the rage 10+ years ago when I remodeled my old house. I bought the single burner to use through out the kitchen remodel thinking I would buy the full size range later. They were running $2,000 back then. And after using the single burner for less than a month I realized I didn’t need or want a 4 burner stove using that technology. Like someone else said, it boils water in a couple of seconds. I have an electric pot that boils water in a few seconds. Beyond that I prefer my gas stove with an oven. If my electricity goes off I can still cook. And if I drop something on it, nothing breaks. The grates go in the dishwasher. If I were going to do it all over again, I would buy a refurbished or new old 40 inch stove. It would fit the age of my house and I’d like to have that stove again. Now I can’t because the stove space is 30 inches.

10. Emily Hudson
    February 8, 2018 @ 6:26 pm

Victoria this is not about the cook top but white will work you to death. I have a square grand piano if any one of your readers would like one to have one for a island , Needs restoration to be a working piano but would work for a island, my kitchens to small. Piano is located in South Carolina circa 1864 Chickering.

11. Jenny Young
    February 8, 2018 @ 6:38 pm

So what about cast iron cooks? I cook almost exclusively in cast iron….you just cannot sear meat with such amazing flavor in anything else. I do hate the stoves I’ve had because of how difficult they are to keep clean but i love eating good food more than I hate the ugly stoves.

12. Patricia Taylor
    February 8, 2018 @ 6:44 pm

Electromagnetic pulse effects: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16635999/?i=3&from=/15955187/related
    Opinion is divided but with a defibrillator-implanted b-in-law who loves to meddle in the kitchen, I opted for gas over gimmick.

13. Patricia Taylor
    February 8, 2018 @ 6:48 pm

Opinion is divided as to electromagnetic pulse appliances, however, with a defibrillator-implanted b-in-law, who loves to meddle in the kitchen, I opted for gas over gimmick.

14. Karen eldredge
    February 8, 2018 @ 7:18 pm

I went through the exact dilemma years ago, I wanted white induction on white marble. Couldn’t figure out an affordable way to do it and if I remember correctly the non American cooktops were also a smaller size and I cook a lot with big pans so I needed space on my cooktop. I eventually went with dark counters on the perimeter and white on the island and I did love it. Also I have the same pans as you and my cooktop is not scratched, I think only cast iron will do that. So this is a crazy idea that I have no idea if it would work. What if u took off the glass, and scraped all the black off and then frosted it? Or replaced it with a different piece of glass. This is way over most people’s heads, but you are married to Paul. Also, not all induction is created equal, people who compare an IKEA counter top model to a cooktop would be blown away by the cooktop, I know cause I’ve used both.

15. Brittany
    February 8, 2018 @ 7:54 pm

I saw what you did immediately. It does draw the eye with so much white. We don’t have an induction cooktop, but we do have an electric one, and I’m looking into a cooktop cover. Not because I mind the black, because I like how sleek it is, but all our appliances are stainless. Maybe a fancy cooktop cover would make the difference?

16. Robin Heintz
    February 8, 2018 @ 7:58 pm

My son is an Interiors Architect. I asked him. His reply was: “I am not sure. The brands that may have it may be pretty pricey. Thermador, Miele, Bertazoni – but they’ll be $2000, minimum.”

17. Sue
    February 8, 2018 @ 8:04 pm

Many years ago we moved our kitchen to another room in our home entirely. Total re-do from the studs. We live in an area where the only gas is propane. I was gung-ho to get a Blue Star gas cooktop. But my husband was not enthusiastic about having a propane tank and hook-up installed. For 2 years before the reno, I spent 12 hours a day on the old Gardenweb kitchen site and heard about induction for the first time. Very long story short, at that time the only induction cooktops were European, and VERY expensive. There were no induction ranges available in the US at all.

We, too, went to one of those appliance stores where we were by far the poorest people in the place (including the salespeople), in another state, because our state didn’t even have such a place. I tried induction there. Instant conversion. We bought a 36″ Miele induction cooktop. We still cook on it, a lot. Advantages you already know. We have had minimal scratching, hardly visible, and I happily use my cast iron all the time. No clouding like other people have mentioned. So fast and responsive. SO easy to clean. Disadvantages: had to give away my Calphalon and buy new cookware using a magnet (except for the cast iron and Le Creuset). You can’t roast a pepper over an induction burner. Most have a max burner size of 12″, which is not optimal for my 14″ Allclad frypan. You also can’t use a stove-top espresso maker, even if it’s magnetic. Its footprint is too small to actuate the burner. You can’t take your roasting pan out of the oven, remove the meat, and put that pan on your stove to reduce the drippings by bridging burners, at least not on mine. And those models which allow bridging have burners that aren’t big enough anyway. When you lose electric power, like in a storm, it’s useless, as other folks have pointed out.

Meanwhile, my best friend did buy the Blue Star gas cooktop and runs it on propane. While she likes it, she’s had multiple problems with ignition problems and had to have it serviced more than once. I’ve never had to service the induction once yet (knock wood). She has to keep track of the propane level in her tank so she doesn’t run out. Cleaning that gas range is a bear. Seriously. If I had to do it over again, I’d go with induction again. Wishing you happiness whatever you choose.

18. Dawn Grabo
    February 8, 2018 @ 8:24 pm

“We had an induction cooktop for awhile, it scratched easily and my OCD also hated the cloudy rings that formed from repeated heat.”

We’ve had our Kenmore Elite induction cooktop for 10+ years and I cannot relate one bit to the above. In the past I had traditional electric cooktops which had those issues but not the induction cooktop.

19. Crystal
    February 8, 2018 @ 8:31 pm

Full disclosure, I just peed myself. A little. But pee I did. Damn this getting old business. I should be able to guffaw with abandon. Which I did. But paid the price. Totally worth it.

20. Bernie
    February 8, 2018 @ 8:32 pm

I love your style. I love your writing. I love your videos. It’s just a cooktop. get over your obsession!! Black cooktop…white counters…big whoop. Dont you love BLACK AND WHITE cats? It would be a kitchen version of your ode to tuxedo cats. Did you swtich from slate to white for counters? did I miss something? Black would look better with slate, than white anyway. I need another GFT video.

21. Alta Walters
    February 8, 2018 @ 8:38 pm

Go for the slate and black. Easy on the eyes, easier to keep clean and looking good. Why would anyone choose gas over induction? Have you ever lived rural? The power goes out, all the time. Our gas range can be lit with a match and then we cook with an oil lamp for light. All of the mechanical stuff in the house is designed to operate without power. Maybe, someday we’d get solar and a Powerwall. Only then would I consider electric for cooking.

22. Becky Schneider
    February 8, 2018 @ 9:28 pm

We remodeled our kitchen 10 years ago with a freestanding range, convection oven, glass top stove. It died 3 years ago. Oh- the ANGST of trying to decide. I first got an induction stove with two stoves, small one at the top and I hated it. I mostly hated the cooktop. Finally, within a month, turned it back in (which Lowe’s was wonderful about) and got one with induction cooktop. Had to change over half of my pans. I’m still looking for a good 10″ skillet with a lid that will also fit in my dishwasher, btw.) But I LOVE the induction! After three years, of cooking every day, multiple times day, it still looks practically new. I use CeramBrite, razor blades, and the yellow scrubby maybe once a week- usually just wipe up spills as they occur, or put paper towels over the surface if something is spattering (like spaghetti sauce or browning meat). It’s black, but so was my old one and I really really love it. Also, we got quartz countertops ten years ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the quartz. It comes in MANY colors and patterns. My daughter did her kitchen last year and hers looks like cararra marble with gray veins–it’s beautiful. You don’t have to seal it. It’s naturally antimicrobial. Easy to clean. Fabulous to use. Scratch resistant. It doesn’t stain–at least not from grape juice or tomato sauce or stuff like that. I haven’t tried using a permanent sharpie marker on it. I would get quartz again in a heartbeat. I never want ANYTHING other than quartz countertops again.

23. Maggie
    February 9, 2018 @ 12:11 am

1. I am jealous of your cooktop idea and annoyed with myself that I was unaware of this option. Why does no one talk about this?!
    2. I love that so many of your links take me to Amazon. I am always expecting a fancy designer website. And then up pops Amazon. Thank you for being so real.
    3. Does it bother you there is only 1 review for this product and it is a 1 star review and it is titled ”Don’t buy this product”?
    4. I think you should buy the white. It is superior to black. And in response to everyone telling you it’s hard to keep clean, I think if anyone is up to the challenge it is most definitely you.
    5. Keep up the good work.

24. Elin
    February 9, 2018 @ 1:28 am

I was going to say that this was an easy fix – IKEA has a white cooktop. But it turns out their white one is not induction 🙁

As to what everyone is saying about wall ovens: 1) there are free standing induction ranges that include an oven. 2) you can mount your oven in an under counter cabinet under the cooktop if you want to. We have, and it’s a regular size oven (european, probably doesn’t fit a large turkey).

25. Cassie
    February 9, 2018 @ 9:02 am

26. DKD
    February 9, 2018 @ 11:10 am

Lots of great ideas! But I vote for the Monogram silver induction cooktop with Carrera countertops!

27. Tina
    February 9, 2018 @ 11:24 am

Am I the only one who thinks this looks WAY TOO MODERN?? Also – as someone who prides myself on my cooking skills – Gas is the only way to go…..

28. Deborah Pentland
    February 9, 2018 @ 12:20 pm

I have had induction for 5 years, Will never go back. It’s just wonderful!!

29. Paula
    February 9, 2018 @ 12:49 pm

Identified as poors! I can relate – that is so perfect, I am cry laughing!

30. judy
    February 9, 2018 @ 1:09 pm

We bought the Electro Luxe propane/natural gas stove in 2009 in order to cook with gas and it has been great but the truly wonderful unexpected asset has been heat and cooking when the weather and the endless trees in our area guarantees an extended power outage…5 whole days last time and the failure of the HVAC system again 5 days without heat. Sad to say for those of you much younger that my 81 year old Husband and 77 yr old me. Climate change, with the polar ice headed for the atmosphere and destined to come down elsewhere in the form of torrential rain or snow falls measured in tons v inches, might demand some other form of energy not involving electricity and may literally save you and your families lives. Better to err on the side of caution ……..? generators,solar and a nice big propane tank and I sincerely hope and pray I am wrong.

31. Alexis
    February 9, 2018 @ 2:23 pm

We put in both induction and gas when we renovated our kitchen (the induction is 60cm wide and the gas 30cm, they are right next to each other and form a 90cm cooktop area). Mostly because we live in Joburg and power failures are a thing. I had visions of using both but honestly, the induction is so much better to cook on that we only use the gas for the wok and when the power is out. If I could only have one I would take induction everday just for the ease of use, regardless of aesthetics. If I ever have another house that comes with a regular electric stove I will rip it out and replace it with induction asap.

32. Paula
    February 9, 2018 @ 3:14 pm

Black or white? I could live with either, but the ceiling and wonky-wonk trim molding in the photo you reference (Visually, do you see any way this kitchen could be better?) would drive me nuts! That cabinetry and crown molding is a horrible solution to the peaked ceiling. I would always be thinking about those horrid little gaps on the upper left.

33. Sarah
    February 9, 2018 @ 3:55 pm

I second all of the “it will scratch, look filthy and ruin your life” comments about induction, especially white. My best friend is on her 3rd induction hob in 12 years – she lives in the middle of nowhere in Scotland and gas isn’t an option. The touch control panels on every single one has failed after a few years, but long before that they have looked horribly scratched and grubby, because the tiny surface scratches are deep enough to trap dirt and grease but too fine to clean with any brush, scrubbie or sponge. If you google “scratched induction hob” you will get an idea… and some solutions to removing scratches, all of which involve a lot of elbow grease and cleaning chemicals. If you hardly ever cook and never, ever slide, shoogle or accidentally jiggle pans while cooking, then maybe it wouldn’t drive you insane… maybe? Personally, I think you should get a huge Victorian kitchen range, have it immaculately restored in a surprising yet perfect colour, and then photograph it covered in kittens. Every day.

34. Pericolosa
    February 9, 2018 @ 4:19 pm

I love induction and my Lodge pans. They love each other. They work great with woks too. I have never had a scratching or clouding problem. As long as you arent rough Im sure you wont have scratching. Of course, dont drop GFTs on the ICT.

The GE cafe and monogram lines are both not black and sparkly. Very fancy, really. They also have bluetooth capability so you can control temperature through your phone and their probe accessory. Do you know about sous vide cooking?

Ive never used a white cooktop, but I am sure you could get a portable one for cheap and work with it before making a permanent decision. Ebay may be your friend here.

Also, because, Paul, you could DIY an installation of a couple or three portable units in whatever countertop surface he would agree to cut for you. Maybe consider soapstone, for ease. In a stone.

I like the nuwave portable units PiC2 or something because they are relatively low powered so you can cook at lower temperatures. And you can make 10 degree adjustments in the temperature acrossthe units entire range. You will only want big wattage for heating big pots of liquid. Because its. So. Darn. Efficient.

Make sure you know the max weight you can put on the one you are getting so you dont break it with canning or your demi-glace preparations.

Welcome to the club.

35. Pericolosa
    February 9, 2018 @ 4:26 pm

I should add that the nuwave PiCs have the downside of membrane covered controls, which membrane wears out. Get ones without the membrane, just glass controls, unless you get commercial quality.

36. june
    February 10, 2018 @ 9:17 am

VEB- Because I love your blog I’ll say this.

It’s gas only for me. I would never even think about an electric stove of any type. Nope, 40+ years ago I got a jolt while turning on the faucet and touching the stove at the same time in my very first, very dumpy apartment. I don’t think I’ve used an electric stove once since that little zap!

As far as color choice goes, black is the popular color for a reason. White while very pretty does seem to be extremely impractical. I did a bit of research and found Fagor’s website claims their top matches to Pantone 402C so it you can get yourself to a printer or artist who has access to cards that may be helpful. To my eye it is a true gray, not at all beige. The GE Monogram website calls their color silver, not beige or off white. Somewhere there must be a dealer who could show you an example of the color if not the actual top.

37. Joanne Andresen
    February 10, 2018 @ 11:44 am

I have a new black induction cooktop by Bosch. My sister-in-law has a different brand. Mine is shiny, hers is not. I clean mine every evening with vinegar on a paper towel. Sister-in-law does not need to do this. Something to think about. Also, I decided to get the smaller of two available cooktops because of space limitations. Be sure all of your pans, both large and small, will fit on the cooktop at the same time . I like induction because I set myself on fire with gas and have horrible messy burners with electric.

38. Helen Walton
    February 11, 2018 @ 7:45 am

We just purchased and are using induction after having been convinced all along that we were going to use a Blue Star gas range as we had in a kitchen just before this one. Well that idea went by the way when we realized that in this town we would have to not only put a 1200 CFM fan in but also an air recovery system which pushed the Blue Star price tag all together up to the eight thousand dollar level!!!! So we took a chance and did induction. We used the Bosch product and we ADORE it. We have black counters so we did the black- it looks so great! I do construction specification for a living and interior design so was helping a client outfit there kitchen at the same moment. He wanted a lighter looking piece and got the Thermodore in a mirror finish- it is gorg!!!! look into it – it does have a darker control area though so not completely silvery. But like I said I adore the whole induction thang cause it is totally responsive, fast and bonus, does not have to have a exhaust fan capable of sucking a kitten off the kitchen floor! Plus, and there are a lot of Pluses here- it does not have all the residual heat that make the grease fly all over the place. I know you have been struggling with the fan question from your other posts. We have a 399 CFM fan and it is all that is needed – I used the Vent-a Hood magic lung type and rarely have needed to clean it since we moved in last August. Now that is a BONUS!!! Good luck.

39. Memory Derthick
    February 11, 2018 @ 8:57 am

Am experimenting with an induction hot plate. So far I can’t make myself love it the way I love gas/w my heavy copper pots. Here’s why. Crank the heat in your copper, get your butter brown, turn the flame down and immediately the heat reduces. No scorching. Because pure copper is highly conducive. Up-down, fast in both directions. My induction cookware is not as conductive. It takes much longer to reduce heat reaching the food. Some types of preps = no biggie, you’re after fast heat and lots of it. Other preps, delicate fish, eggs, sauces. . .overshoot and scorched garlic, ugh. See what I mean? It’s not the induction technology that is not flexible, it’s the cooking materials (steel, iron) that are not as conductive, therefore not as responsive as cookware. I haven’t sprung for the Matfer induction copper. Anyone out there using it? How does it compare to pure copper? (And before all the All-Clad and Lodge and Staub fans jump on me, please go buy a 2.5mm tin-lined copper vessel and cook with it for a week. It’s not a snob thing, it’s an OMFG experience. I’d sell my Prius for more copper.) Full discolosure: I adore my Chambers range. But I enjoy the induction hot plate when I want to boil water at the speed of light.

40. Paola44
    February 11, 2018 @ 10:55 am

I’m afraid of gas (fire, explosion…) I have induction and it’s just fantastic. Good cooking, NO cleaning ! Simple and elegant. Black is always OK, even if I know that Self likes it more complicated… You’ll have to convince Self!