1. Lena
    July 17, 2013 @ 2:27 am

Found this via Maskcara. You are hilarious. Glad to find another fellow scavenger and fellow Craiglist lover (I love it for the literature). Have shared the link and now you will get an additional 2 million readers, brace yourself!

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      July 18, 2013 @ 9:52 am

“I love it for the literature.”
      So annoying when the commenters are funnier than I am.
      xo

2. Stephanie Hobson
    July 17, 2013 @ 3:44 am

This >>>> “My eagerness was such that he must have several times thought that I was scamming him.”
    Cannot. Stop. Laughing.

3. Diana C.
    July 17, 2013 @ 4:39 am

Oh my goodness. I could totally see myself doing this. Fortunately my husband has stopped me a couple of times, and yet, I still get caught up in the madness. Thank you for sharing; I don’t feel so bad now.

Like I told you before, we are conjoined twins separated at birth and your husband could be a brother to mine. Except my story would likely end with my being so mad at myself I would cry; which would stop my husband’s teasing and he would proceed to tell me how sweet, trusting (because of my sweet heart), and the most wonderful woman on the planet. Seriously, this is what he says. Anyway, my tears would dry up, I’d have a glass of wine (or two), and life would get back to normal. Love your posts… they bring back memories!

4. Jayne
    July 17, 2013 @ 6:12 am

omg! I can’t stop laughing, not at you being scammed but the “here lies V.E.B. she bought her own gas cap”! It’s 6am here in CT and I’m going to wake up the whole house laughing, you’re killing me!!!

5. Toots
    July 17, 2013 @ 9:14 am

You got scammed because you don’t think like a con man., a criminal. Not because you are stupid. The con men have the advantage of surpriese. It’s their job and they work at it. Pros.

• Toots
      July 17, 2013 @ 9:16 am

Oops…..surprise.

6. Christine H
    July 17, 2013 @ 10:08 am

Victoria, at least this incident evened the score between your husband and you re. Craigslist–you were on such a streak, with that mirror and all–so now he got a little bit of fun out of it, too. And yes, no fun to be scammed and lose that money, but given how much you’re on Craigslist, in a way it was a good lesson, right? So thankfully it wasn’t more money, right? 🙂
    Thanks for your great posts. I think so many of us can so totally see us in your place, which is why we love reading them so much. So don’t change!

7. Sneza
    July 17, 2013 @ 11:54 am

Victoria! Believe it or not, I think I found your dad’s cell phone!

Contact me privately to arrange restitution.

8. DancingMooney
    July 17, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

This makes me think of the time I got bit by my neighbor’s dog. (this was just a few years ago). All my life I’ve been a dog person, and thought I could tell the good dogs from the bad ones. And for many many years I believed wholeheartedly that dogs could smell fear, and if you genuinely were not afraid of a dog, that it would not hurt you.

One day I was walking to get my mail and the neighbors were outside, and their dog, who lived on a chain in the front yard was wagging it’s tail and watching me… plenty of slack in the chain. The dog was at ease and so was I. I asked if I could pet the dog, and the neighbors looked at each other silently, looked at the dog, and agreed it was Okay. I put my hand on that dogs head and with a blink of time I found myself snatching my hand back and seeing flesh and bone in the palm of my hand. He not only bit me but almost took a chunk of my hand.

I think my petting him surprised him, since he was a neglected dog that never got to be petted… and he was a big strong dog at that. I never was mad at him for biting me, but I learned that day, not to trust dogs I didn’t know. And I was mad at the owners (even more than before) for not giving him a well balanced socialized life that he deserved. But I chose not to press charges or call the pound, because I knew the dog would be the one who would pay with his life, and I did not want that. Thankfully they moved out a few months later to a home ‘with a fenced yard for the dog’… I can only hope he is getting more freedom these days, and that the owners are more mindful that dogs have needs too.

Lessons hit us hard at times I guess, but as they always say, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. 🙂

Just found your blog via a friend… love it. ♥ xo.

• Jeri Church
      July 17, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

DancingMooney, Thanks so much for sharing that. So glad to see that there are people in this world that know a dog is only as good as his owners allow him to be. Bless your heart for not pressing charges…..

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      July 18, 2013 @ 8:22 am

Ugh. The way people neglect animals is the thing that makes me saddest in the whole world. Truly.

Thanks for sharing. xo

9. barbara
    July 17, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

Tears are running down my face! Glad to know that Paul is as funny too.

• barbara
      July 17, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

Hmm you can’t edit this thing . I meant either funny too or as funny as you.

10. A City Girl
    July 17, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

Look at it like this Crooked people hardly ever get scammed like this only good honest people. That’s the food chain in the bargain cycle. Just get some satisfaction out of knowing that Karma makes the world go round. You will get another deal like you will never believe and he will get into something where he will lose more than $200 on. Did you send it to a name and he had to show ID or did you send it to a name and all he needed was a password to pick it up? I would report it if he had to show ID. It was illegal and even though you did not follow the rules of safety, that does not give him a free pass.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      July 18, 2013 @ 8:23 am

Password… I’d actually forgotten about that part of the story!! That I had to specify he not show ID! He said it was so he didn’t have to fill out a bunch of “paperwork” on his end.

*Shaking my head* at myself all over again.

• A City Girl
        July 19, 2013 @ 1:19 am

Oh my. Yes he got you but the good news is it will only happen once.

11. Irene
    July 17, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

Oh dear….I laughed and laughed. It’s just so easy to believe. When you think about it, your ability to think the best of others is a wonderful trait. Your con artist “friend” will never know what it’s like to live in color, mainly because people like that have emotions only when they are “playing” someone. So sorry you were scammed. Thanks for sharing the story…..

12. gretchen
    July 17, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

I didn’t work today and spent hours reading your blog from the beginning. I would say I wasted most of the day but I laughed so much it had to be healthy!

13. Laura
    July 17, 2013 @ 11:46 pm

Gretchen, I did the same thing a week or so ago. 🙂 I woke up the next morning and tried to remember what great book I had been reading, because I needed to finish it!

14. Kelly
    July 18, 2013 @ 6:43 am

My dear, you do realize that Craigslist owes you. Big time. I’m sure you’ve increased their traffic tenfold since those last couple of posts. Let’s step it up to prime time. Why not Antiques Road Show? Is that still on stateside? You need to turn.it.up. a notch. I wanna see Paul sweat it out as he awaits the final appraisal.

My friend, your neighbor – you know the one (open your mind to OLYMPIC proportions) introduced me to your blog. And I’ve been here ever since.

Now go on. Find out when ARS is coming your way. In the meantime, keep writing.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      July 19, 2013 @ 11:21 am

A- I need to pay said neighbor for promoting me. As soon as I make one cent, I will cut her in.

B- why has Craig himself not contacted me to be his spokesperson? I could do a killer commercial for them.

C- I’m pretty sure I’ve sealed my own fate of never finding anything good ever again because now everyone has been reminded how awesome Craigslist is.

15. Melissa
    July 18, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Another awesome post Victoria! We’ve all done things like this. Thanks for sharing it with us!

16. nancy vecchione
    July 18, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

Victoria you’ve hit another grand slam w/this post! I laughed, I cried, and I know just how you feel! Love your blog, always share it w/friends who ask for blog recs! Your rock story or the mirror, not sure which is my favorite, now I have to add this to the fave list! Hope the next one I add to fave list doesn’t cost you any $$$.

17. jill
    July 18, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

Funny story yes, but no mention….or maybe I missed that part of you giving him your address to send the phone. Yes? No? If yes, I would be careful with strangers around your home.
    blessings, jill

18. Alex - Old Town Home
    July 19, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

I’m always extremely hesitant with things, so I am always assuming I’m getting scammed even when I’m not. So I’m sort of your opposite. However, I did something on eBay a good while ago that involved a scammer trying to get something I was selling. After a long and convoluted story involving about 3 months of emails I ended up on the plus side of $500 and still kept the item. So as far as the scammers scales of justice go, perhaps my victory required your penalty, and for that I apologize. Here’s to using this experience to prevent a repeat. And hey, it made a good CL related read.

19. Geofoodie
    July 20, 2013 @ 9:44 am

Great story. I’ve been lucky enough to have had things returned to me by random strangers –several times actually, so don’t give up the faith. I love your husbands response. Mine would not, I fear, have responded in the same way.

20. MollyMom
    July 21, 2013 @ 12:47 am

WTF? One minute I’m Googling recipes for vegan, gluten-free cornbread and the next, three hours has passed and I’m groggily surfacing from a self-induced coma of gluttonous indulgence in your fabulous blog. No idea how I got here. Some kind of time/space wiggle/warp. So glad I found you. Your wit sparkles and skitters through the ether and your honesty and sweet vulnerability make me want to wrap my arms around you, mom-like. Which I am probably old enough to be. Write anything. I’ll read it. You sizzle.

21. Jan
    July 21, 2013 @ 10:50 pm

So… what did your brothers say now that you’ve blabbed this to the world? Dying to know..!!love the read, thanks

22. Sherry Hart
    July 22, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

I can not stop laughing.

23. Henmom212
    July 22, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

I join the bandwagon- we all are fair game for scammers- with the exception of the Nigerian prince that even my 86 year old mother (who loves everyone) knows to say “nyet” to. Like the massive response audience, i love your blog. I too love all under the radar sources for “treasures”. My spouse does not fall into the “paul” category – we have been married for 25 years and he finally said ” wait a minute, you don’t have an aunt in maine…” This is after. 25 years of fake dead and alive relatives that were responsible for some item that appeared in our home. Also, i am from texas and live in nyc so i especially appreciate women that are f-u-n-n-y.

24. Diane
    July 23, 2013 @ 10:04 am

Well now you have me thinking of a recent transaction of mine on my Facebook page. Time to go fall on my sword and call my husband.

Thanks for the warning, wish I read this a couple days ago, Diane
    Honey Stop The Car Vintage

25. Lynne
    July 23, 2013 @ 10:17 am

Scammers suck 🙁 I’m sorry!

26. liz
    July 24, 2013 @ 10:45 pm

Ummm… have you seen the Craigslist documentary? It’s basically the greatest thing ever put on film!

I’ve been able to avoid CL scams, but I am still bitter about the time three devilishly handsome male specimen scammed me out of about $30 for magazine subscriptions. I was 19 and they were flirty so I’m pretty sure the conversation was something to the effect of “Hey to you too. Magazines? Sure, here’s some cash. You’re beefy and tan so you must be honest. Sure I’ll make out with you.” And then nobody made out and no magazines arrived.

27. Anna
    July 29, 2013 @ 10:41 am

Hilarious! Thanks for sharing. I was also scammed once through Craigslist. Very sad day- I lost $750 PLUS western union charges you to send money. So extra. I paid extra money in fees to be scammed. It gets worse. I contacted my scammer to let them know I was not going to pay the extra fee money and that they needed to agree to send me a check for the difference before I would release the western union info to them. Of course they agreed. So I had time to think about it and I still failed.

Otherwise Craigslist is my jam. Just only meet in person and no sending of money orders. Also be careful not to be murdered. Lesson learned.

28. Debbie Rudesill
    July 31, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

Your blog is fab u lous. Your writing is great. I got here from Houzz. The article you wrote for them was great – so right about everything. THANKS For SHARING.

29. Donna Huebsch
    August 1, 2013 @ 12:57 am

The idea that your brothers would want to taunt you on your death bed was TOO funny – plus the picture which followed of your tombstone was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh – I needed it!

30. Lori
    August 2, 2013 @ 11:53 pm

I love it! You are awesome for sharing your stories. If this happened to me, I am so gullible that I would have still been hoping for the phone to show up in the mail.
    FYI, if the gas cap thing ever happens again or to anyone else and you wonder if you were just ditzy last time and forgot it remember this, if you don’t properly secure your gas cap, your check engine light goes on. I wonder what he would have said if you would have called him on it? Insist it was gone and keep your cap? or Oh yeah, this one in my hand IS yours?

31. Nancy
    August 5, 2013 @ 11:21 pm

I have tears rolling down my face, I’m afraid I might wake the kids up.
    Thanks for sharing

32. Cindy
    August 6, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

Hi Victoria, I love reading your blog. I furnished my home off the Free section of Craigslist a few years ago and used to get such a kick out of the stuff you see there. I was amazed at how many (unfit for human consumption) free couches there were, so for a less-than-busy summer month I started a blog about them called Crugslist (a cross between Craigslist and Go Fug Yourself). I thought you might enjoy reading it. http://gocrugyourself.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/guest-crug/
    I look forward to reading your adventures!

33. Wendy
    August 16, 2013 @ 8:04 am

So glad I took the time to follow the link to your blog! Thank you Rhoda at http://southernhospitalityblog.com On a blah morning you gave me something to smile about! My take on this is what a Big Heart you have, insisting on paying more! I hear you…if someone’s going to pull the wool over our eyes..we might as well go for the whole sweater! I look so forward to your posts and subscribed before I even finished this entry. As a newbie blogger I haven’t even gotten off the ground yet because I spend so much time reading the wonderful bloggers I aspire to be like. Thanks for the inspiration!

34. barb
    August 21, 2013 @ 10:43 am

I just found a cellphone that looks just like the one your dad may have lost that you didn”t describe

im in new york

they give away bridges here cheap!!!!
    xoxoxoxo

35. Terri
    August 21, 2013 @ 10:53 pm

This is my favorite post yet, I haven’t laughed so much in ages. Found your blog thanks to Rhoda at Southern Hospitality. We’re renovating a 130 year old house in Marietta GA so I know how much fun you’ve been having. Glad your sense of humor ( & your marriage) are intact. Now if I could just get you to send me a couple of those awesome mirrors we could be BFF.

36. melanie
    October 8, 2013 @ 12:12 am

I am crying I am laughing so hard!!! Thank you!! Thank you for this story

37. auroramere
    December 10, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

Thanks for posting this lively story! It was great fun to read, it makes the Craigslist warnings memorable, and it’s reassuring to those of us who tend to be paralyzed by the fear of screwing up. Everyone screws up, whether by acting on impulse or failing to act for fear of regrets, and it’s usually not fatal, as your blog demonstrates.

38. Abby Alby
    January 24, 2014 @ 1:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. I got this exact same call this morning at work “You lost a ring, what’s it look like? I paid a kid, wife insisted I call you… ” I was hesitant and he must have been spooked and he said he would call back later. I suspected it was a scam, but I was also terrified that he had it and I let it slip away. Now I’m reading this and relieved I didn’t jump in. Sorry for you trouble though.

39. Deb
    February 4, 2014 @ 6:48 pm

This is the BEST line – a bit understated and so funny: “look, I can’t talk right now, but I will make fun of you as soon as I get home. Be sure you’re there.”

I’m going to try this line on my husband some time!

40. Vic
    February 19, 2014 @ 11:37 pm

If it makes you feel better, I missed a bonus question on a test….”who’s buried in Grant’s Tomb?” Love your posts!