1. Angelia Johnson
    June 29, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Well, thanks for the laugh! I used to have a Caravan and could fit just about anything in it without having to go through my husband..I think it would be cool to have ceilings high enough to be able to fit that mirror in my house. But alas I only have 7 or 8 foot ceilings.. Enjoy it!

2. Dezingurl
    June 29, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

ER-Meh-Gerd!!! My dumpster diving friend forwarded this to me…..I’m almost speechless because I just realized how many of us are out here! How many times have I heard, “that won’t fit” or “there’s no way to move that”. Do they not know the meaning of “mission” or “accomplished”?!?! People that don’t understand just move along. There’s nothing to see here. Just be jealous when you see these wonderful things we’ve scored. How did you not drop to your knees when he uncovered that mirror? And the price….what can I say. Epic…you killed and then you wrote about it in the most hilarious way!!!!

Brava!

3. dei
    June 29, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

OMG’SH I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time! My husband and I sound just like you!!! Everytime I mention craigslist I notice his eye start to twitch…lol. My greatest score to date was a glass dining table, chairs & matching bar stools in perfect condition for FREE!!! I remember when I went to look at them the husband showed me the set. He said his wife had bought them without his consent and he HATED it. He was like are you sure you want this & I was like YESSSSSS!!! I had been looking for exactly that look and for FREEE…SCOREEE!! I have to brag a little bit more b/c when I got home my husband couldn’t believe I had gotten it all for FREE! Pretty sure he was a bit impressed…

4. Dana Delaney
    June 29, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

First, very cool mirror. Second, Oh My Lands!! this is the first time I’ve read your blog and Thank you SO MUCH for the laugh! I haven’t laughed that hard in ages. My 8yo daughter wanted to read what was so funny but I think she would have to be married to truly see how funny your story was. Thanks.

5. Liz
    June 29, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

Love the mirror story! I too have a Paul–my isn’t as patient as yours–he kills me once a month.
    But hey! I’m still here and I think he loves me.

6. Reilly
    June 29, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

This is a great story. That mirror is awesome. Although you have the head ache of home renovation I envy your ability to change your living space as I live in an apartment. 🙁

7. Cindy
    June 29, 2013 @ 2:41 pm

Psh……that mirror isn’t even 12 feet, unless both those guys are about 8 feet tall. Love the story, and what an AWESOME find!

8. Mark
    June 29, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

As one of ~10 guys who commented on this, I’m surprised (and please forgive me if someone else post a comment similar to this. I read most of the comments, but not all of them in a truly verbatim manner) – that I didn’t see anyone saying they wanted to see this thing go on Antiques Roadshow or some such venue. I, for one, would LOVE to have an expert evaluate this mirror, help determine it’s true age, where it came from, who was likely to have made it & the general story behind it.

From the craftsmanship alone, I bet it has one heck of an awesome back story 🙂

Thank you for this entertaining read!

• Kay
      June 30, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

I think it looks like it came from a grand hotel or high end clothing store.

9. Janet G.
    June 29, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

I just read your mirror story and couldn’t stop laughing. I love CL. This took me back a few years ago when I found a 14 ft. Long entertainment center on CL for free. I had to have it, I got my brother and husband to go along with it (since it was my birthday). When we get to the house it was actually a mansion up in the hills over looking L.A. Some how my brother was able to fit this thing (disassembled) in his truck. The fun part was going down mulholland dr. which is a one lane both ways, us in a hurry to pick up my niece from school shooting down this hill while semis going up the hill and kept getting in our lane as they turned (that was fun). Few years forward, I still have the entertainment center, even though I had to cut 4 feet off to fit into our new place and one of the best things I have scored off of CL.

10. Amber
    June 29, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

Has anyone noticed the “mini” (not so mini) matching mirror on the wall in the next room!!! hello!! amazing matching find.

11. tammigirl
    June 29, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

P.S. One time Luis told me not to bring another desk or table into the house. So I had him build me a new house. I don’t think he realizes what happened.

12. Elyse Marie
    June 29, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

Victoria,

I am the laughing butt of all my friends’ and family’s jokes for my vintage/antique obsession, especially when it comes to great bargains and rare pieces of furniture. I am now sending the link to this post on to multiple people, for the laughs, the “I’m not the only one” feeling it gives me, and to prove my point- that Craigslist really is the best place to find a great adventure if you know where to look!

Thanks so much for sharing your story! I’m now headed back to Craigslist Grand Rapids, MI, to scour for the perfect table for my boutique, which I’d given up hope of finding until I read this. I am now re-inspired- it’s hiding out there somewhere, underneath a big tarp in someone’s ally!

Elyse Marie

13. Karlis
    June 29, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

This was hilarious. And also – I hope your appreciate your husband. Quite the catch you’ve got there.

14. Daisy
    June 29, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

ROFL right now…we are kindred spirits. Only add Freecycle in there, too.

When my husband asked me why I was laughing so hysterically, I read part of this to him. Completely straight faced through the whole thing, his only comment was…”I understand Paul.”

This made my day.

15. Todd
    June 29, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

Does Paul have a blog? I’d like to read that.

• Stuart Richards
      April 14, 2016 @ 11:45 am

Me too.

16. flabergahsted
    June 29, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

…… I can’t believe people spend that much money to furnish their homes with a mirror!?!?! yes cute writing style, but you are a little obsessive and if i were paul I would have crashed the mirror over your head. he is not “quite the man you got there.” he is a push over. either that or he’s just stuck with you and keeps you happy cause you’re good in bed or something… idk… idk why guys sometimes go for woman who are so vain! seriously how self absorbed can you be? but I shouldn’t be name calling, cute article, have fun filling your life with STUFF that makes you happy. but ladies reading this………… this is not reality, this is frivolous, wasteful, and insane.

thanks fro the smile though, I am slightly amused by your insanity.

• tammigirl
      June 30, 2013 @ 12:09 am

You are right, you shouldn’t be name calling.

How each household spends their home decor money is up to them. I’ve seen people spend twice as much on beer and cigarettes for a month. Or a birthday party for a one year old who will not remember it. Or a million other things I probably would not do. But? Your money = your choice.

The prices she’s paid for those things? Amazing discounts for their value.

• Heather
      July 1, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

Wow, Flabergahsted. Get over yourself. To restore and impeccably appoint a lovely home is a wonderful thing to do. You clearly have no design sense or any understanding of historical significance of architecture and interior design. Your comments are rude and boorish.

• daisy
      July 2, 2013 @ 9:24 am

Well, Flab, if you want to start throwing names around, expect to have some land on you. Like, I can’t believe how many misspelled, ignorant, condescending, and critical things you can say in one short comment. Are you trying to set a record? I think you need to hug a kitten or something and let some of that crabbiness you are harboring get soothed away. In the meantime, I will reread this post and enjoy its awesomeness!

• Stuart Richards
      April 14, 2016 @ 11:46 am

^This is what happens when you call a flock of narcissists out, bro. They get all snippy and defensive that someone isn’t amused by how little they care about other people.

17. Emily
    June 29, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

LOVE IT!

The whole ‘don’t believe the sizing’ is a thing in my parents life too – they found an 1800’s french armoire & bed frame at a local consignment store. It was labeled as 10′ tall – which is clearly too tall for most normal (boring) houses, but would fit GREAT in my parents house … but only on the first floor – not in their 2nd floor master with 9′ ceilings. Of course, that didn’t stop my parents from LOOKING at it… which is when my Dad discovered that it had been mis measured!! and was only 8′ something ish inches that would TOTALLY fit. And it does. Today. 🙂

Love your blog – I come from ‘the older, shinier, bigger the cooler’ blood too.

18. Katherine Willis Pershey
    June 29, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

Funniest blog post of all time, ever. And I read that Bloggess metal chicken post. It takes a kingdom to knock knock the chicken out of first place.

19. What I’m Into :: June 2013 — Giving Up on Perfect
    June 29, 2013 @ 11:25 pm

[…] Last but not least, this doesn’t really fit under any of my normal What I’m Into categories, but you’re going to want to read it. Because Oh My Word, it is funny. This lady is hilarious and, I suspect, more than a little nuts. But a brilliant and funny writer, so just go read her story: Proving for all time, that you NEVER KNOW what is on the other end of a Craigslist ad by Victoria El…. […]

20. Laura
    June 30, 2013 @ 12:12 am

I didn’t even bother to read the other comments, which obviously had to be some variation on, “Ohmygod this is SO FUNNY. Yes, there was out-loud laughter.” Of course this is coming from a woman who once walked a mile home from a thrift store carrying a small table because they wouldn’t let me on the bus with it.