1. karen
    January 24, 2017 @ 1:21 pm

Well, hell.. you are one step ahead of me. I don’t even pretend I’m gonna rip that sucker apart and but her back together. No.. I am a wuss and walk away from anything that will require my attention in the re-upholstery department because THOSE TACTS! THOSE SPRINGS! They’re evil. Kudos to your husband for doing a stellar job. Good luck with the trim.

2. Cristina-Finding Grace Interiors
    January 24, 2017 @ 1:29 pm

You are so funny!!! The sofa came out beautiful!!
    I think you and Paul need your own HGTV show, I won’t miss it!!!

• Phyllis
      January 26, 2017 @ 8:50 am

Yes! HGTV we know you are here looking… can this happen?

3. Laura M
    January 24, 2017 @ 1:36 pm

double welt — much cleaner looking than the braided trim. I vote for double welting a thousand times ++++

4. Gina
    January 24, 2017 @ 1:37 pm

I have a “Paul” character in my life, though after 30 years of fixing stuff he is sorta losing patience. How do you kids pull this off without any yelling?

5. Maureen
    January 24, 2017 @ 1:41 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: DOES PAUL HAVE A TWIN BROTHER???? Because obviously I need a Paul twin. I’m in the middle of ripping apart my dining room and have furniture to refinish and crazy to share…

6. jeanette mattioni
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:04 pm

Love the sofa, your husband is a saint! Especially when there is a FABULOUS (inexpensive!) upholstery guy right around the corner from you in Norristown! I don’t upholster any more because HE does! Also, you can just fold you a stip of your fabric in three’s (lengthwise) to the width you would like your trim to be, and VIO`LA! Self-trim! Upholstery guy didn’t get it until I showed him, but it is now my standard go-to trim! Good luck on your new sofa!

• Jayne Zabala
      January 24, 2017 @ 4:40 pm

Cutting your trim fabric on the diagonal makes it much easier to work with, especially if there are any curves involved.

7. Laura Lee
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:10 pm

Would a brown trim not work? Do you mean like the rope type of trim? I know you can do that yourself on a sewing machine with the fabric you already have though I’ve no idea how.

8. Carolyn
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:16 pm

I’ve had to make my own trim before, maybe check out the link below. There are a lot of other tutorials out there.

9. Cathy Wright
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:34 pm

A contrasting color would look lovely. And it looks like it is neutral enough that you could choose from a range of palettes…blue, gray, aqua, black. I love your projects (um, or Paul’s), and you always brighten my day with your humor.

10. Sue J.
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:42 pm

Dye trim to match?

11. Annika
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:45 pm

Where do I find a Paul??

12. Vickie H.
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:47 pm

Tina at The Enchanted Home is the queen of great trim! Good luck!

13. Kathy
    January 24, 2017 @ 2:49 pm

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful piece! Hats off to you for even trying! Your husband must truly love you to rescue you when you throw in the towel. Love this post!

14. Cynthia Kammann
    January 24, 2017 @ 3:43 pm

I have 2 words for you… contrasting trim.

15. JeanFB
    January 24, 2017 @ 3:44 pm

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no. I was going to try this. Seriously I have an Eastlake settee sitting in my foyer and I’ve been like…. “That should be a fairly easy first-time upholstery project.” Ummmm…. I can’t say you haven’t warned me. (Standing on edge of cliff now…..)

Your new kittay is soooooo prettay!

16. Andrea Sager
    January 24, 2017 @ 3:47 pm

I didn’t read all the comments to see if someone said this, but the double welting can actually be made for you at an upholstery shop for a fairly nominal fee. (And at this point I would think “nominal” might have reached a realm of significant relativity.)

17. Tracey
    January 24, 2017 @ 4:25 pm

Oh, the tacks! I always find the best way to make sure you’ve got all the tacks out is to sit on it. Then you will find EVERY. SINGLE. TACK. left in it.

18. Wendy
    January 24, 2017 @ 4:29 pm

What about matching the trim to the color of the wood?

19. Tammy
    January 24, 2017 @ 4:31 pm

You cant imagine how relieved that Im not the only person who set out to find the Holy Grail of color that is the perfect bluish greyish (not too this or that) that existed only in my head. I once dragged my husband through the fabric stores in the Grand Bizaar of Istanbul looking for a fabric that existed only in my imagination. Im forever searching for stuff I later learn doesnt exist.

I finally mixed up paints to create a color swatch then had the paint store analyze and recreate it….in their computer its saved as “Holy Grail”….its now the color of my office with Eastlake Victorian furniture similar to that sofa.

20. Jayne Zabala
    January 24, 2017 @ 4:38 pm

I completely understand the staples issue. I bought a chair with the intention of having it recovered and thought — I’ll take the fabric off (it was horrid). There were thousands of staples and when I thought I had them all out, then a few more would pop up! I just finished a slip cover for a new chair and ottoman (why would any person in their right mind buy a white linen chair and ottoman with two cats and one dog in the family?! In any event, that was the hardest project I have ever taken on and right then and there decided I wouldn’t even think about tackling re-upholstering the chair! As a suggestion regarding your trim — you could make your own piping (single or double) with the left over fabric and it would match perfectly. Making single piping is super easy and in Dallas, there is a man who makes double piping (in a jiff — he has the right equipment) and it’s really reasonable. Just a thought to get you out of your dilemma and help Paul finish your project!

21. Jayne Zabala
    January 24, 2017 @ 4:44 pm

Love the “dust mops” on your kitties feet!

22. Tracy Doyle
    January 24, 2017 @ 5:39 pm

Oh how I love the notification that you posted a new blog–Keep the charm, Witt and education coming!! Might I suggest you have trim made from the same velvet you chose for the love seat. Someone (seamstress) can easily create cording from the fabric and a double row would be a lovely accent.

23. Carole
    January 24, 2017 @ 6:54 pm

You are funny. Real funny..laughed my way through your hyperbole and loved your (really Paul’s) project.

24. Shirley
    January 24, 2017 @ 7:12 pm

Paul is AMAZING! ! One in a million! And that sweet cat! Don’t tell me you’re just fostering that one. She is definitely a KEEPER! I had a very similar Tuxedo cat named Tootie, with ear tufts, toe floof; she was a very special character. She liked to pose like the Sphinx. I called her Queen of the Nile.

25. Carrie
    January 24, 2017 @ 7:32 pm

I’ve been lurking here for a while now, but I finally laughed so SO hard that I am compelled to tell you what an excellent humorist you are! I used to do it professionally (and unprofessionally), so I know how hard it can be. I also know the blogosphere is filled with just-sorta-funny writing. You truly have a gift!

26. Cindy
    January 24, 2017 @ 7:57 pm

I have the skeleton of a tufted beauty sitting on my back porch for the last year. I understand you completely. I also have two other chairs on that same porch, as well as a daybed frame and a small black full bed frame. My husband refuses to go out there for fear he will be compelled to make a bonfire, or come in and strangle me.

27. Wanda
    January 24, 2017 @ 7:57 pm

I need a Paul! I got the upholstery bug; how hard could it be? And to have something in my house I UPHOLSTERED….all the better. Fast forward a year and a half; still not done…ready to throw it out…instead, I packed up all the equipment, fabric and finishing stuff and donated to a local charity. Hope someone with more umph will buy it and finish it….it was beautiful fabric :-/
    Now I know….I am not an upholster!

28. Kipper
    January 24, 2017 @ 8:11 pm

I’ve reupholstered a family settee that had previously been reupholstered by a professional (9,323 tacks) I removed them and re used 500 tacks when covering the settee in new fabric and gimp. A year earlier I reupholstered some bar stools my dad had upholstered in 1955. 100 tacks on each chair. I took all of the tacks off, removed the hideous yellowed Naugahyde fabric and used a staple gun to upholster the stools in leather from an old bomber jacket . Turned out well, but my days of wanting to recover furniture as a diy project are done. Paul is amazing, you are a lucky woman.

29. pat
    January 24, 2017 @ 8:25 pm

Love all your posts! The sofa is beautiful, the kitty is gorgeous, Paul is The Catch; and You, my dear, are simply marvelous!!

30. Leslie
    January 24, 2017 @ 8:53 pm

But what did you put in between the springs and the fabric??? That’s where the stuffing goes. I stuff with horsehair, some stuff with foam. You might be interested: https://citygirlarts.com/2016/08/15/artisanal-upholstery-gilded-antique-french-settee-chair-traditional-manner/.

31. Pat Hogan
    January 24, 2017 @ 9:37 pm

Oh my gosh! I just want you to know that yours is the ONLY blog I follow. At all. Seriously. I love how Paul rescues every single one of your projects AND you are still married. I love your patience and ability to find every single abandoned piece of furniture in the world.

32. Ann
    January 25, 2017 @ 12:47 am

The technical name for your braided trim is “guimpe” — nowadays often spelled “gimp.” Love your account! Tell Paul that it helps, if one is a husband assisting an aspiring upholsterer, to have a Scout merit badge in knot-tying!

33. Paula
    January 25, 2017 @ 3:43 am

Have you met Felix the Huddlesfield Station Cat? She and your Miss Floofy Feet look like they were separated at birth. Paula https://www.facebook.com/FelixHuddersfieldStationCat/

34. Beth McKinsey
    January 25, 2017 @ 11:54 am

As always a great story! Love your blob and your style!

• Beth McKinsey
      January 25, 2017 @ 11:55 am

Blog not blob! LOL

35. judy
    January 25, 2017 @ 12:33 pm

Firstest….Raucous Laughter for the incomparable humor and Wit. Second… and very important.. Standing Ovation for His Brilliant-ness
    and the Strategy for Fantastica the Fancy Footed Feline,just pretend that you are fostering her and that way she can just hang around indefinitely and you can maintain the illusion that you did not yet commit your eternal devotion to her Floofiness. And is there an update re: the restaurant Tigers?

36. Angela Willis
    January 25, 2017 @ 1:32 pm

That couch is worth the hassle… it’s incredible… and for $45!!! YES!
    I love your fabric choice, can’t wait to see the trim and finished product!
    And I second letting Paul have a day at the blog! That would be fantastic!

37. Amanda Dugan
    January 25, 2017 @ 7:11 pm

OMG….I laughed soo hard! I love your blog so much! Hilarious stuff!!!! Ms. Fancy feet kitteh is super gorgeous! Viva la rescue!!!

38. Gaylin
    January 26, 2017 @ 9:42 am

You delight me so very much!
    But girlie I wanna see kitchen and addition updates!

Thank you!

39. J
    January 27, 2017 @ 10:00 am

Love that I can learn so much here about upholstery, strawbale gardening (fascinating), and countless other topics, all the while validating that maybe all my neuroses around perfect decorating/ restoring (to the point of being unable to even get started) are normal. I too was looking forward to a circus-related post, and you are still educating us. I can’t wait for your book to be out… I will be the first one to preorder, so don’t keep us waiting too long!

40. Constance
    January 27, 2017 @ 12:55 pm

you are hilarious. I am you. the photos I could show you (I can totally relate to the tack thing. love seat from the side of the road) but unfortunately I have no Paul. I have a Jim that constantly asks me what I am doing with the buffet/dresser/chairs/cabinets/love seats that now sit in my dysfunctional garage.
    keep up the good work.. I want that campaign bed. 🙂