1. Diane
    December 19, 2017 @ 1:37 pm

Guess what!? Living will kill you!

2. Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens
    December 19, 2017 @ 1:38 pm

It is mind boggling how much we do not know about human health and yet “experts” stand up and spout certainties about what is healthy and what isn’t.. like eggs.. they were, they weren’t, they were, and then they weren’t.. I forget where “they” fall on those these days. Heck, we just figured out what the appendix does last year.. I can’t wait to see what we ‘know’ about nutrition in the upcoming decades..

But all that being said, yes, CAFO is horrific.. not only because of the environmental issues, and the horrid meat products it makes from the poorly fed animals who are given whatever left overs can be scrounged to save money, but because we confine (the C in CAFO) animals in inhumane cages. It needs to end.

3. Linda Hill
    December 19, 2017 @ 1:52 pm

Moderation, while not being the answer, will definitely serve you well in life. Big meat eaters, over exercisers, diets, cleansing, too much stress, and the list can go on and on will all cause disease.
    And don’t get me started on veggies and fruits etc—organic? Grow up around orchards that have been sprayed for years–all now absorbed by the centuries in the soil!
    Merry Christmas and bah humbug to this post.

4. Lori
    December 19, 2017 @ 2:09 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Thank you for looking up all of those ridiculous products that were once thought to be safe! You are not even mentioning the terrible conditions that these poor animals endure for their entire lives, until they are mercilessly murdered. 🙁 Thank you for speaking out! I love your blog! Keep them coming!!!

5. Mary
    December 19, 2017 @ 2:27 pm

Well, I have always loved your blog. But please keep your posts on kittens and Decor. You are cute and zany but please come down off your high horse. Not everyone thinks the way you do. Darling Lily is the only reply that is worth reading. The others are just sheep following the new “in” things the liberals have to offer. Please don’t prosletyze on matters that you are not totally informed about. Yes, there is much wrong with our health care system, including insurance, lobbyists and big pharma. But I’ll take this country’s healthcare over socialized medicine. Why do so many people come here for superior care? And have you compared waiting times for MRI’s, surgeries, etc c in England or Canada? And trust me, you will be getting socialized medicine unfortunately. It’s just a matter of time. Then you won’t have to worry about people eating bacon. The government will take it away as well as many other choices we make now. It’s called government control.
    BTW. If we should have socialized medicine, what about socialized groceries, and housing and…. never ending.

• judy
      December 20, 2017 @ 11:42 am

I understand your right to reject the points expressed but not the order to keep the writing light and fluffy.

It’s akin to insisting that the local library carry only books that appeal to you or insisting that sports broadcasts be included or excluded because you love or don’t love them. AnyHoo just my HO. I just hate to see a nice person doing the very best she can to present some info that readers can take or leave feel that she has offended a reader.
      And where is it written that a writer must stay within a limited topic?

6. Susan
    December 19, 2017 @ 2:42 pm

I’m mainly a paleo diet kinda gal. Meat Dairy and grains are my main food groups. So yep I’ll die earlier than some. I’m ok with that.
    As for bacon being a reason to having a range hood….. even though I know this isn’t the reason behind the post…. make it in the oven instead.

7. Abby Bean
    December 19, 2017 @ 3:35 pm

Hallelujah! And to the people commenting that you can’t give up bacon? You can and you should. Animals are not here for us to use.

8. Callie
    December 19, 2017 @ 3:58 pm

Great post! Ha, love the vintage ads! And the point you’re making is so legitimate. I was a pescatarian for a number of years and can make some pretty creative and delicious bacon by sauting smoked salmon in a little olive oil – yum!! Except then I feel sad for overfishing our salmon. And the plastic that we ingest from eating fish…Sigh. I’m thinking that my new years resolution is going to be reducing my plastic footprint: for starters, using zero disposable/recyclable plastic water bottles this year. One step at a time.

9. Chelley
    December 19, 2017 @ 5:53 pm

Gas cooktop, downdraft ventilation and my house still smells like bacon. Don’t get the hood.

10. Elena
    December 19, 2017 @ 6:09 pm

“… there is also the cost of the health-consequences suffered by the segments of our population who MOST rely on this crappy food… their medical care is ALSO our tax burden!”

How do you know these “segments” of the population aren’t readers of your blog? Why would you choose to frame this as a “them” vs. “us” issue?

As a vegetarian for 26 years, I am no fan of bacon. But I hate an elitist attitude even more.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
      December 19, 2017 @ 8:30 pm

That is terribly worded. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Originally I had a paragraph above it, about children living in poverty. And how a poor diet is yet another hurdle for them… and how those children become ill adults. A cycle that benefits blah blah blah… and is all funded with our taxes— we are essentially paying for our own ill health… I ended up removing it, and now I see without context I needed to rewrite.

When I edit something endlessly, my brain does not process my words the same way as when I am thinking them the first time!

11. Shannon
    December 19, 2017 @ 7:14 pm

It totally cracked me up that Google peppered this post with potato chip ads…..ROFL

12. Ruby’s mom
    December 19, 2017 @ 7:45 pm

I shouldn’t even comment but here I am, throwing in my 2 cents.
    It sickens me when the argument over bacon is because it tastes good?
    Really? So what!
    There are so many things to eat but people still insist on being so selfish and cruel.
    How narcissistic are these people that they have no compassion for another living creature?
    All that matters to them apparently are their taste buds and full belly’s.
    It’s a fact that pigs are smarter than most dogs and most dogs are as smart as the average 2 year old child.
    I suppose if these people decided that dogs were tasty, they’d be lined up at the animal shelters because their satisfaction and gluttony is more important than another living being.
    I guess the only up-side to it is that eventually this heartlessness will kill them.
    Thanks for this brave educational post.

13. Olwyn
    December 19, 2017 @ 8:19 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post Victoria! I love your commitment, passion, research, energy, core values and love of life! This is a marvellous post – timely – and so honours all our fellow travellers (the rest of the animal kingdom) at this celebratory season of peace and love for all sentient beings!

14. barbara
    December 19, 2017 @ 10:07 pm

Your best post yet!

15. Laura
    December 20, 2017 @ 12:46 am

Victoria, thank you for posting this! Netflix has a new 6 part show starting January 5th that focuses on corruption in the food industry that you may be interested in watching. It is called Rotten. I don’t cook so I can’t respond to your question about the stove hood but I completely support you in the NO BACON Revolution! Stay hungry my friend and eat your vegetables!

16. Marlena
    December 20, 2017 @ 4:05 am

So wow, LOVE this post! I am 50 years old and grew up in a vegetarian household back when it was only crazy hippies that were vegetarian… and when I say vegetarian I mean NO meat or fish! We were lacto-ovo vegetarians. My mom baked with eggs and we had them occasionally for breakfast but otherwise totally vege. My mom was spiralizing zucchini way before that was a thing. She was WAY ahead of her time. When I got pregnant with my daughter I found it difficult to not be anemic without meat so a couple of times a month we would have beef. However , I live in Switzerland and have access to very good quality farm raised beef and when I go to the butcher they have a sign that says which farm it was raised at and is certified organically fed! That said the nay thing I have never been able to stomach is pork meat! Pigs are just not a clean animal to eat and if you look at their diet the will eat almost anything! Which brings to mind the saying “ you are what you eat.” So I totally get where you are coming from. Also, I miss your posts about your garden and what you do to preserve your produce. Any chance you might add some of your recipes to your blog???

17. S Roche
    December 20, 2017 @ 7:51 am

I just came to get a good laugh at a GFT story, maybe see a cute kitten video, and just to relieve a little Christmas Rush stress…..sorry it has turned so preachy and political….Oh, and btw…Sugar will kill you a lot faster than bacon will.

18. Lani
    December 20, 2017 @ 7:52 am

You don’t need a range hood for bacon anyway. It tastes better when baked in the oven on a broiler tray.
    Healthy 5’5″ 125lb. (37yo) farmer chick who can lift and carry 150 lbs. for miles (cool antiques included) and eats a mostly plant based diet but NEEDS some bacon now and then 😉

19. Laurie (Lucy's mom)
    December 20, 2017 @ 8:07 am

Victoria, thank you for sharing your passion with us. I loved your post. I am a relatively new vegan (two and a half months) committed to this lifestyle for my health and the planet.

20. Diana C.
    December 20, 2017 @ 9:24 am

Hmmm… this was definitely not what I signed up for. Love BACON in any form except burned, and pretty much any other pork product that others swear is bad for me. Love my veggies, even if they are GMO. Adore cheese and heavy cream, and I’m sure some will say dairy is terrible for you. Love my wine, which goes especially well with Cheetoes, which cures the blues every time. In fact, this combo may replace anti-depressants soon. Love sugar; even though it is literally poison in the body. All these “bad things” taste good, and that’s the key ingredient to enjoying what you eat. Result is I am happy while on earth; but if I go to Heaven a little sooner than the next person, well, it’s a win/win. I’ll greet you when you get there.

Love my kittens (thank you for encouraging fostering, which was the final push I needed). Love my husband, who moves all the junk I drag home from yard sales and Craigslist. Love Jesus, who paid my way to Heaven. Love my private healthcare; not willing to hand over the decision of what doctor and hospital I use, to anyone, much less some government bureaucrat in a political system run by big donors and lobbyists. Love my President since he is exactly what I prayed for, but couldn’t imagine someone that perfectly suited to the job even existed. Love our military and law enforcement officers who keep us free and safe. Love you and your giant fancy things that I wish I had found first! I LOVE EVERYTHING!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy and Blessed New Year!

21. J B
    December 20, 2017 @ 12:15 pm

Also in group 1- exhaust (stop driving or being near cars that are driving), all alcoholic beverages, paint. also in group 1: oral contraceptives, Estrogen therapy for post menopausal women, outdoor air pollution.

I’m all for not exposing oneself to anymore carcinogenic sunstances than we have to, but I rarely find anyone telling women not to use birth control or telling everyone to stop drinking. Far more alcohol and birth control is consumed in this country than bacon.

22. Annette
    December 20, 2017 @ 12:45 pm

Victoria, I’m 65 and believe what we eat is killing us! My husband and I have changed our eating and are becoming vegetarians. Can you share some recipes or menus you use?? It’s really hard to find restaurants that serve healthy items. My daughter lives in Phoenix and they have lots of wonderful restaurants that serve vegetarian dishes.

23. Diana Gibbs
    December 20, 2017 @ 12:52 pm

But what if we cook it in the oven…sprinkled with brown sugar? That can’t be bad right? Plus we don’t need the exhaust fan dealiebob.
    Hugs, Di

• Bernie
      December 20, 2017 @ 10:12 pm

and add maple syrup and black pepper, and a smidge of cayenne. That’ the way I want to go.

24. Emily
    December 20, 2017 @ 7:29 pm

I have copied & saved this, plus posted it to Facebook. This is the best damn argument I have seen. You rock.

25. Bernie
    December 20, 2017 @ 10:11 pm

I eat bacon…..in moderation. I really dont want to live to 100. Ninety-nine is fine with me. My recent bloodwork is the best it’s been in over 10 years.I’m holding out that it a few years it will be found that bacon is not going to kill you. Just like coffee was bad, and now its good, eggs were bad and now they’re not the cause of high cholesterol. I wear sunscreen and my seat belt. I’ve cut out as much salt and sugar as I can. You gotta pick your poison. I pick bacon.

26. Jessica
    December 20, 2017 @ 11:25 pm

It may be a shorter life but it sure is a tasty one 😉 I don’t eat very much meat but a few times a year I crave bacon & steak and couldn’t imagine giving it up. In the past 2 years alone they have linked Eggs to dementia & milk to fibromyalgia but then both were disproven and/or theories changed based on evidence of the test subjects.

Growing up in the midwest (a meat & potato lifestyle) I saw first hand how unhealthy such lifestyle is and made sure not to live that lifestyle. I honestly think that the link from bacon/meat to cancer (in these studies) comes from the likelyhood that most of the people who eat A LOT of processed and red meat also drink soda, eat junk food with fillers like high fructose corn syrup, etc….to link bacon with cigarettes is just ridiculous.

Snopes and Wired both did articles on this with the help of top oncologists and the consensus was basically: “The scientific evidence linking both processed meat and tobacco to certain types of cancer is strong. In that sense, both are carcinogens. But smoking increases your relative risk of lung cancer by 2,500 percent; eating two slices of bacon a day increases your relative risk for colorectal cancer by 18 percent. Given the frequency of colorectal cancer, that means your risk of getting colorectal cancer over your life goes from about 5 percent to 6 percent and, well, YBMMV. (Your bacon mileage may vary.) “If this is the level of risk you’re running your life on, then you don’t really have much to worry about,” says Alfred Neugut, an oncologist and cancer epidemiologist at Columbia.”

I noticed when reading the links that the Q&A says things like
    – “Eating red meat has not yet been established as a cause of cancer…..”
    _ “The cancer risk related to the consumption of red meat is more difficult to estimate because the evidence that red meat causes cancer is not as strong…”
    – “The strongest, but still limited, evidence for an association with eating red meat is for colorectal cancer…”

I agree that eating a diet full of such things is unhealthy and is bound to lead to horrible consequences but I also believe that everything in moderation is best for our bodies.

27. Bethany
    December 20, 2017 @ 11:44 pm

Bacon is better when cooked in the oven! Place on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven. Straight pieces,no splattering grease, no mess, and tah dah…..great bacon! No need for hood! Problem solved!!!! Happy Holidays!

28. Jenny Young
    December 20, 2017 @ 11:51 pm

Whew…that was a long rant! But I did read it.

Bacon was around a long time before the food industry, by the way.

29. Jennifer Rambo
    December 22, 2017 @ 2:16 am

I find myself becoming more nd more resistant to those who want to tell me what and how to eat. I am not over weight, very healthy and enjoy life. I have a friend that has ruined our friendship by nonstop preaching about every bite of food I eat. She does this with all of the ladies in our group and one byone we have dropped her . The constant emails, newspaper articles is a turn off. Why would I listen to a doctor of unknown skill on television rather than take the word of my physican? For those of you that choose this path, that is great. But not everyone is interested in hearing about it. There is an abundance of information available, plus medical doctors have nutritional programs available. When you hammer someone, you are more than likely making them more resistant. And why do you think it is your business what other people chose to eat?

30. me
    December 26, 2017 @ 11:19 pm

I was vegetarian/vegan for decades and guess what I got sick eating a diet of all organic home grown vegetables, fruits and some grains. I was eating kale before most of you were born! lol

Because of my being vegan I developed a bone disease and my bones break so easily that it happens when I cough hard. Yep! So painful I don’t have words.

I use to forge the way for all to convert as well. Until I developed a tumor the size of a small melon.

There are no sure fire ways to omit diseases. My aunt a vegan also suffered before her death from several illness. She was very very thin and jogged every single day for decades. My grandmother her sister ate any thing she wanted was just always active and was sick 30 days before dying with no suffering. They died at almost the same age!

I’m for you not against you I just know my body did not like being a vegan. ; ) I just had a meat free meal for dinner tonight, shhh.

31. kelly
    December 27, 2017 @ 5:10 pm

I’ll skip the bacon PSA (because know your farmer and skip smoking the bacon) and talk instead about how my house smells when I’m roasting peppers over my gas flame and I FORGET to turn on my jet engine force range hood (BEST brand is yeah — the best). When I see the gunk that has been sucked into the filters I think how can anyone even question not having an excellent hood for their stove? That gunk would be on my walls, settle into my floor, countertops, rugs…Hoods are good. Now back to bacon. Two grandparents lived into late nineties & early 100s. Bacon eaters. But they didn’t drink or smoke. A good friend was a vegetarian all her life, never smoked, never overweight, only small wine consumption–cancer. Just saying.

32. Diane
    December 30, 2017 @ 5:00 pm

Superiority is detrimental to health and followers and no one is entitled to anything other the pursuit of life. I used to enjoy your posts, but seriously you have lost touch with reality, Victoria. There’s more to life than saving kittens, being vegan, and chasing after odd household pieces. Here’s hoping you find purpose and meaning in your New Year.

• judy
      January 8, 2018 @ 7:22 pm

Superiority is detrimental to health- also good manners. Free statement of an opinion,do you castigate the bloggers who express an affinity for purple carpets while you would not endure purple for a million in ca$h?

We humans once had to struggle mightily for something to eat and shelter from the storm and Beasts that had a hankering for eating us. Now we have food in abundance,produced in factory farms and huge ships that drag the Ocean and kill off the fish populations that once existed in almost endless abundance. Nothing lasts forever and I fear our smug complacency will one day snap back and bring us a grim reality of all that we have sown and all that we will reap. Too soon old-too late smart.

33. AnnW
    January 3, 2018 @ 2:54 pm

The best way to cook bacon is in the microwave.. Use a special ridged microwave platter and lots of paper towels to soak up the fat. It makes the Best bacon.

34. April
    January 4, 2018 @ 7:54 am

What if Grandma was right and the WHO is wrong? What do we do with the contradictory studies….
    I’ve read that stress is the greatest killer, so I think I’m just going to chill on this topic and see where the next 40 years lead.
    Live ling and prosper!

35. Anne
    January 8, 2018 @ 9:06 pm

Lacto-ovo veg here, with a downdraft stove. If you saute onions and garlic, or cook curry, you need some sort of vent. Those things smell great when they’re cooking, not so much at 2:00 am. Blech.