1. Kristi
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:05 pm

Your are literally one of the funniest, and wittiest writers I’ve ever read! And I seriously don’t know how you score the pieces you do on Craigslist?!! It must be that Pittsburgh is a real dud for Gargantuan fancy furniture I tell ya. Love your fancy style!!! Happy New Year!

2. the misfit
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:21 pm

Have been working on The Great Book Purge since Thanksgiving. I am on your track: one or two of the (solid wood but, tragically, Ikea-minuted) booshelves currently in our house will be fully emptied and ousted, toward the goal of getting a (fancy, antique, of course) piano. (I’m hoping it will be free, though, because it’s going to cost money to move it.) On the other hand, I am on Paul’s track: I am plowing through the books like there’s no tomorrow. And then my husband delays me for weeks lovingly and tearfully examining each title before determining whether he can bear to part with them. (Then, when he decides he can’t, he puts them back on the shelves without my supervision, leaving my artfully arranged bookshelf an unaesthetic mess.) I limp along, one painful crate at a time, while he – OF COURSE – buys at least one more book a week. I need to find some medication for whatever condition he has.

I was most afraid in your story that you would forget to tell Paul that he had to play ogre, thus rendering your negotiation tactic implausible in the final act, when he came to get the bookshelf and was a picture of geniality. Instead, it sounds like he played his part to the hilt. Bravo! Brava!

• the misfit
      January 19, 2016 @ 12:22 pm

MINTED. GAH.

3. Emily
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:23 pm

I think I love your husband.

4. Michele
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:37 pm

Classic – bookcase-storage-inn-of-chaos … I have been through no less than 4 forced bookcase cleanses, none ended well. I dodged a bullet with No. 5 last weekend but I can feel the force of order/evil approaching this weekend when we are supposed to organize the office and “get rid of stuff we don’t need/use,” pray for me. Love the song in the video – one of my all time faves, but missed some of you doing a happy dance to the beat! One of the best posts since Kingdom Mirror. Shared, because I love to validate your existence and everyone needs to know about the Fancy Troll.

5. judy
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:38 pm

I wish I could know that there are people on the Planet that don’t know me(lucky people) but who wish fervently that they lived next door and that I could amuse and delight them with my Wit and Writing. Thank you for all the times you have cheered me up and inspired me that a crazy concentration on acquiring GFT items of Glory trumps Adversity in all its’ guises. Rock on and medals to Paul and Elvis for being smart enough to find you…And of course the bookcase is spectacular!

6. Di
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:39 pm

I got sidetracked in the photo where you tied that giant fluffy scarf behind your back. Great look for all my oversized knitted mufflers!

7. Barb Manning
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:39 pm

One of your best posts ever. Clearly 2016 is going to be a good year.

8. Amber
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:40 pm

you had me at skeleton key….. it’s absolutely gorgeous! yet another fine acquisition of a giant fancy thing! now you might have to start hoarding fancy old books!

9. Debbie
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:43 pm

Absolutely hysterical!! I laughed out loud throughout:-). LOVE that old bookcase and your blog.

10. Tina
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:46 pm

Before I scrolled down far enough to see you captioned the picture of Paul enclosed in yet another wooden GFT, I thought to myself “I think that is the only way I have ever seen Paul pictured on the website, outside of dancing with Victoria.” And then I scrolled and laughed. And was thankful that you had found such a treasure in a husband.

11. Suzanne
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:48 pm

Beautiful bookcase, you lucky girl! I see such beautiful finds on Craigslist in other areas, but where I live it’s mostly junk, cell phones and the occasional ugly sofa…nothing like your beauty. Self is a smart negotiator.

BTW, my husband suffers from the same affliction as yours; however, he will get into the car pretty quickly, but then he drives in slow motion. This is a man who flies down dark curvy country roads at warp speed going nowhere in particular, with me holding on for dear life afraid some sort of wildlife is going to innocently jump in front of us (namely Bambi), and we are going to have a horrible life-threatening collision, but let me be in a hurry, excited to get somewhere (or running late), and he’s rollin like molasses. I’m screaming inside, but if I dare utter a word about moving a little faster, it seems to have the exact opposite effect, so I suffer in silence, lest we never get there.

Great find, girlfriend !

12. Denise Hardy
    January 19, 2016 @ 12:51 pm

Great purchase and a great witty blog – one of the best 🙂

13. Kerri
    January 19, 2016 @ 1:14 pm

Hope bookcase lady doesn’t read your blog! Lol

14. Sandy B
    January 19, 2016 @ 1:21 pm

Posted on and off for a year … with no pictures? Your new friend needs a Craig’s List selling tutorial stat! Thank goodness your GFT desire pushed you past that or she never would have sold it. I should really learn from you and not ignore those, but if there is no image I filter it out.

Hail to the beauty that is that find.

15. Charlotte
    January 19, 2016 @ 1:46 pm

What a hilarious post! I am amazed how you described exactly how I think! It’s uncanny. Your writing style is just delightful and especially in this one. You are truly s very fortunate woman in many ways. Love the bookcase.

16. Nancy
    January 19, 2016 @ 1:51 pm

Oh, oh, oh! It is beautiful and perfect for your space! I have never left a comment before,(too lazy) but I have been a fawning admirer and subscriber of your blog for some time. This time I was compelled to tell you how excited I am when a new post comes in. It is better than a great estate sale. It is almost better than chocolate! Don’t stop writing! Your blog would make a wonderful book except I have no idea how you’d incorporate the delightful videos. Love you, Paul, and Elvis.

17. Heather
    January 19, 2016 @ 2:02 pm

Gorgeous! Also, I believe we are soul mates with regard to getting rid of things.

18. Momcat
    January 19, 2016 @ 2:11 pm

Just snorted hot chocolate out of my nose while reading your post, prompted by the comment that your husband found yet another unusable room!! I, too, have been hit by the “I’m totally getting organized this year” virus, starting with my 40+ storage boxes of Christmas decorations and supplies. I started last week when my husband was gone for a three-day business trip. Unfortunately, he came home early, and he could barely navigate once he opened the front door. At the present time, my entire downstairs and garage areas look like I’m preparing for the garage sale of the century, and it’s only 2016! In my defense, I do have a business called “The Enchanted Forest;” I do custom themed Christmas trees, wreaths and garlands, which decrees that I have to have lots of “stuff” in order to create (not self-promoting-no blog or etsy shop. I work by referrals locally). I’m trying to pare down, but it’s hard to part with things, telling myself that I “might need this someday,” or you “can’t get this quality now,” etc. Just this year I finally used something I purchased nine years ago, and it was the “PERFECT” item for the project….
    Thanks for the entertaining post. I just found you recently, so am looking forward to seeing more from you!

19. Kristi
    January 19, 2016 @ 2:16 pm

I think we might need to petition Craigslist … why isn’t there a category call Giant Fancy Things? Its unreasonable. Unacceptable even.

Side note. You might want to check this listing.
    If you come by to pick stuff up, let me know … I’d love to meet you! 🙂

20. helenel
    January 19, 2016 @ 2:21 pm

This was a very difficult read for me, as I found it nearly impossible to grok the concept of “getting rid of” bookcases. That is what someone else does so that they (the bookcases) will become mine own.

However, I’m glad I soldiered on – that is a beauty! Congrats!

21. Theresa
    January 19, 2016 @ 2:28 pm

Hi, I wish my husband could talk to yours, mine just had a mock intervention for my “furniture fixation, sofa sweet tooth and credenza craving”. He doesn’t understand that I have to get the pretty things that I find and that are always a bargain also!

22. A Brown
    January 19, 2016 @ 2:54 pm

Please tell Saint Paul that we love him – almost as much as we love his erudite and charming wife. Now, back to shopping!

23. Sharon
    January 19, 2016 @ 2:55 pm

Victoria:

Fabulous find!!! Soooo pretty.

You really must warn a person with a Zinger Alert. I am at an auto dealership, reading this on my phone, suppressing giggles and nearly snorted and passed out when I read, “WELCOME TO 2016!”

I have tears streaming down my face, and I may have to assure them I don’t need medical attention!

Loved seeing Elvis again. Thanks for the chuckle.

24. Linda Pakravan
    January 19, 2016 @ 3:31 pm

This is hysterical! Beautifully written. And the bookcase is perfect giantness.

25. kmkat
    January 19, 2016 @ 3:47 pm

Giant Fancy Thing looks great in your dining room!

26. Susan Macdougall
    January 19, 2016 @ 3:57 pm

Looks pretty darned great! But it would perhaps look great in your kitchen, too. 😛

27. AnnW
    January 19, 2016 @ 4:38 pm

When I saw the photo of the bookcase….I stopped breathing. OMG. I would never accept presents for my birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc. I would just build up Craigslist credits. I would also get a second job, or sell on eBay or something. You have a very fine area for stuff. My husband is also Mr. Slow. If you don’t keep track of him, he’ll go out to the dump and not return for hours and hours. When are you finishing the kitchen?

28. Garden, Home and Party
    January 19, 2016 @ 5:51 pm

This is such a beautiful piece, I can hardly believe you showed such restraint, even if it was a buying tactic. I’m happy you ended up with it.

I love the lady’s comment, “your husband is no-nonsense”. Hahaha.
    xo,
    Karen

29. annel
    January 19, 2016 @ 6:11 pm

Grt8 Post!! LOVE the video, the Only problem is, that, CLARK IS MY BOYFRIEND, HA!

30. penny
    January 19, 2016 @ 7:00 pm

Wowsa!!!! You have done it again!! Smarty! OMG,, AND you have documented the slow motion phenomenon of the reluctant husband!!

31. Vikki
    January 19, 2016 @ 7:33 pm

That bookcase is stunning. I’d say Self deserves a box of Duck Donuts. I checked and the closest Duck Donuts to you (I believe) is Middletown, NJ — Ventura Plaza 1275 Route 35, Middletown, NJ, Oh and make sure Paul gets at least one donut. Vikki in VA

32. Lora
    January 19, 2016 @ 8:01 pm

Oh, how I love you and Paul!

33. Christina in FL
    January 19, 2016 @ 8:03 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! It is a stunning bookcase and, as always, a lovely tale has been told. 🙂
    How is Elvis doing? She looks marvelous!!

34. Diane
    January 19, 2016 @ 8:14 pm

Best post ever! I salute your dedication to GFTs every where! Love it and cannot wait for the next post.

35. sharon
    January 19, 2016 @ 8:16 pm

What can possibly be said….they ALL said it before me!!!! Honestly. That knitted WONDER!!! luving it!!!!!

36. Pam
    January 19, 2016 @ 8:17 pm

I literally, yes literally, laughed throughout your post.

Doctors should prescribe “Read Victoria Elizabeth Barnes!” To all their patients suffering from depression.

Also, not to sound creepy for zooming in, but I love the photo in your bookcase of Elvis being held. So cute!!

37. Lynne Hoover
    January 19, 2016 @ 8:48 pm

That , my dear, was a steal!

38. D'Arcy H
    January 19, 2016 @ 8:55 pm

It’s beautiful! Does it fit together with joinery, like my kleiderschrank? I’m guessing it does, from the video. I didn’t notice you or Paul doing any tedious screwing. Oh, you know what I mean!!

39. Briana
    January 20, 2016 @ 12:03 am

Don’t EVER let me hear you say you’re getting rid of books or bookcases again!!!
    They are just as sacred as the big, shiny, sparkly, magical pieces you find on Craigslist!!

40. Susan
    January 20, 2016 @ 7:46 am

Paul and my friend Brian could swap some stories! I once bought a bookcase from a Facebook page while Brian was trying to pass a kidney stone. Was it awful of me to hope he would pass it so we could go pick up the bookcase the next day?